Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2011, 04:33 PM   #1

2001 Boxster, key reprogrammed now car wont start

Bought a spare key had it cut, had dealer reprogram both keys noticed that my radio started acting up the alarm light would come on whiile the car was running and the radio wuold shut off soon after reprogramming.

Now 3 weeks later problem got consistently worse and finlay car will not start...

Any ideas?

Thanks

TC

Rincontrx650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 10:15 PM   #2

I would guess that you need a new ignition switch, the electrical part that fits on the back of the key part of the switch. I am on my thrird one. Not very expensive DIY project. Lots of posts and instructions on how to do it. Don't take it to the dealer, unless you want to get bent over. They will want to sell you a whole new switch assembly. The electrical part can be bought locally for around $30 or for around $10-12 on the net.
3X Water Pump, Clear side markers, Crios Mod, Front engine mount, Flywheel, clutch, RMS, AOS, MAF, serpentine belt, power brake vacuum line, battery, 2X CV boots, Fuel filter, Oil filler tube, 3X ignition switch, 90K service, gas cap
Spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 03:07 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rincontrx650
Bought a spare key had it cut, had dealer reprogram both keys noticed that my radio started acting up the alarm light would come on whiile the car was running and the radio wuold shut off soon after reprogramming.

Now 3 weeks later problem got consistently worse and finlay car will not start...

Any ideas?

Thanks

TC

Well, did you figure it out yet?
3X Water Pump, Clear side markers, Crios Mod, Front engine mount, Flywheel, clutch, RMS, AOS, MAF, serpentine belt, power brake vacuum line, battery, 2X CV boots, Fuel filter, Oil filler tube, 3X ignition switch, 90K service, gas cap
Spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 08:18 AM   #4

Just joined just bought a boxster 2001 s model....live out of USA, so can't bring car to dealer for anything as car was not purchased here it was imported from the USA...so is it true you need to bring the car to the dealer to get the extra key programmed?cant I just buy a key from the USA and give them my car full details and they program it without the car? Help!
Boxsternik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 02:24 PM   #5
1999 base

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxsternik View Post
Just joined just bought a boxster 2001 s model....live out of USA, so can't bring car to dealer for anything as car was not purchased here it was imported from the USA...so is it true you need to bring the car to the dealer to get the extra key programmed?cant I just buy a key from the USA and give them my car full details and they program it without the car? Help!
no.
you need a key with a code, and the car at the dealer.
where are you from if may ask?

Meir is offline   Reply With Quote