986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   steering rack (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29378)

WRGREENER 06-20-2011 05:28 AM

steering rack

how do you know if a power steering rack is bad?

Cloudsurfer 06-20-2011 06:39 AM

If it leaks, it's bad....

Pull the plastic panel at the front of the car, and look around the rack. If you see fluid leaking, it's toast. If you don't see anything on the outside, loosen the boots that cover the piston, and pull them back from the rack itself to verify it's all dry.

Luckily, they're actually not that bad to change on these cars.

WRGREENER 06-20-2011 09:06 PM

bad rack

leaks>>>makes sense.... none in my case so prob not my problem. oh, what if your worm gear is worn out , does that play into the equation?

Cloudsurfer 06-21-2011 03:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WRGREENER
leaks>>>makes sense.... none in my case so prob not my problem. oh, what if your worm gear is worn out , does that play into the equation?

I suppose it's hypothetically possible to mechanically wear out a rack, but this just doesn't seem to happen anymore.....

If you feel slop in the steering, I'd check your tie rods first.

blue2000s 06-21-2011 06:38 AM

Let's approach this from another angle. What issues are you having that caused you to suspect the steering rack?

BTW, technically, there are no worm gears in a rack and pinion system.

WRGREENER 06-21-2011 08:00 AM

issues

I am having the typical "bump" when traveling over bad road surface. i have replaced every control arm, trailing, tracking, wishbone, drop-link, tie-rod I&O balance tires,pressure, good rims, new tires. steering is great just trying to eliminate the rack as a devil. so. any recommendations on a shop in south part of NOR CAL?

JoeFromPA 06-21-2011 09:48 AM

I'm gonna share this as a noob to the world or Porsche...but I found the bump to be extremely surprising when I first drove the boxster. Then I found out that 8 degrees of caster will create amazing steering feel - and also significant kickback.

Don't know if it's normal or not.

blue2000s 06-21-2011 11:09 AM

I think Joefrompa may be describing what you're finding. Porsches have kickback.

Gilles 06-21-2011 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WRGREENER
I am having the typical "bump" when traveling over bad road surface. i have replaced every control arm, trailing, tracking, wishbone, drop-link, tie-rod I&O balance tires,pressure, good rims, new tires. steering is great just trying to eliminate the rack as a devil. so. any recommendations on a shop in south part of NOR CAL?

Just an idea, but you may want to check the bearing on the top of the strut (spring) as well..