986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Question about 987 Stone Grey soft top (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2934)

SoCal 06-18-2005 09:38 PM

Question about 987 Stone Grey soft top

Anyone think that the new grey soft top is harder to keep clean -- or more quickly shows wear -- than the black top?

I might be interested in triple grey (seal grey metallic/stone grey interior/stone grey top). Since I've never seen that color combination in person, I went to the Newport dealership today. They have a lot of Boxsters in stock -- and not a single one with a stone grey top. Nearly all of their soft tops were black -- just a couple metropol blues.

The salesman tried to convince me to go with a black top, saying that the grey tops showed more dirt, were hard to keep looking clean, and didn't wear as well as the black. It might have all been BS, since they had no grey tops on the lot to sell.

Does anyone know if there are any of these downsides to a stone grey soft top, as compared to black?

Anyone have a picture of a new stone grey top? (I've seen some grey tops on 911s that were at least few years old, and that grey looked pretty light. I doubt it's the same color as the "stone grey" on the new Boxsters.)

Brucelee 06-19-2005 06:27 AM

The salesman is correct in my experience. Grey is a no-no a resale time also.

Good luck with your decision.

:cheers:

SoCal 06-19-2005 06:56 AM

Re grey resale no-no. Are you talking about the top only, or the interior, or both?

Also, I think the older "slate" or "graphite" greys are too light. Is the newer "stone" grey that light too, or darker? I was hoping that the stone grey was sufficiently dark that it would be hard to tell the difference between grey and black until you got up close and inspected.

Brucelee 06-19-2005 07:19 AM

No, the grey interior per se is not an issue. You always look at color combos to determine how well the car will resell.

However, in GENERAL, the grey top is very hard to move.

SoCal 06-19-2005 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brucelee
However, in GENERAL, the grey top is very hard to move.

Why is that? Looks dirty or worn/faded? Or just not a popular color even if it's still looking new?

Does the blue top have the same problem, or is it the grey because it's too light and doesn't look as good over time?

Personally, I didn't like the older "graphite" grey because I think it's too light (almost looked like light blue). Have you seen the newer "stone" grey in person, and is it light also?

Brucelee 06-19-2005 10:52 AM

Well, one could speculate but who knows? It is like asking why it is very hard to sell Yellow, white and green Boxsters. We know they don't sell but why is another matter.

Again, the dark blue will be sell on a particular color scheme, ie lapis blue, etc.

But grey in all variations is in the minority of tops sold.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCal
Why is that? Looks dirty or worn/faded? Or just not a popular color even if it's still looking new?

Does the blue top have the same problem, or is it the grey because it's too light and doesn't look as good over time?

Personally, I didn't like the older "graphite" grey because I think it's too light (almost looked like light blue). Have you seen the newer "stone" grey in person, and is it light also?

ddb 06-19-2005 02:31 PM

Hello SoCal,

I recently replaced my black top on my 986 with a gray top. The top installer told me that the lighter color will show crease lines etc. more than a black top. It will obviously show more dirt than a darker color. But, I don't care. I now have the combination I wanted all along. White exterior, gray interior with a gray top. Will I be sorry at resale time? Maybe, maybe not. I've been pretty lucky selling my vehicles in the past. I think the cleanliness, condition of the vehicle, options, etc. will help way more than the colors will hurt. I guess I'm telling you all of this to say, get what your heart desires. Let us know what you decide.

Good Luck!

ddb

SoCal 06-19-2005 02:58 PM

Thanks ddb, The local dealer is finally getting in a car with a stone grey interior and a stone grey top (on an arctic silver body), so I'll get to see how the grey looks in person.

I can't explain why -- color is so subjective -- but I'm attracted to the grey. Must be in the minority.