Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2011, 02:03 PM   #1

door regulator fixed not replaced

For those with the same problem, I offer my experiences. My problem started with a loud snap and then my window would not drop when the door handle was pulled. The window still went up and down. Then it deteriorated to the point that the window would not roll up. You could hear the motor fighting against something.

Took it all apart and what had happened was the cable jumped a roller and laid on the axle rather than coming off. Before I took it fully apart, it looked like there was some play in the cable. It got worse when I disconnected the battery to unplug the air bag. I had a vision of that thing going off and popping me in the forehead. When I plugged the battery back up. The motor forgot the previous settings, and the motor then compensated for the slack on one side by rolling up further.

That's when it really got screwed up. Because of the slack on one side, the cable became entangled in the spool of the regulator, jamming it up.

So after taking it all down, motor off. Open the regulator box, straiten and re-wind the cable on the spool, close the regular box. Now the cable is super tight. Re-install and it works great.

Pedro rear stabilizer bar, CF strut braces, Maxspeed headers with 100 cell cats, Fabspeed cat bypass pipes, H&R springs with M030 setup, TRG rear links, EVO air intake, B&M Short shift kit, Raby IMS upgrade, Raby underdrive pulley

Last edited by jhandy; 06-12-2011 at 04:28 PM.
jhandy is offline   Reply With Quote