Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2005, 07:01 AM   #1

FasTrac Transponders

For those of you who live in the Orange County/Riverside area (SoCal), where do you put your FasTrac transponder?

I'm not willing to put it on the windshield or dash - and the antenna array doesn't "see" it in the sunglass holder (between the radio and the climate controls). Currently, I throw it on the passenger seat when I go through the array, but would love a better choice.

Old Fart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 07:07 AM   #2

If it's anything like Houston's "easytag" (a thin plastic box that's about 1/4 in thick and credit card sized) you can do what I did...

I bought some flat black spray paint and painted the sucker top, sides and bottom. Then I took a little velcro and put it on the back side and velcro'd it to the base of the dash board where it meets the windshield.

It is hardly noticeable from the inside and can't be seen from the outside of the car, yet works perfectly. No warnings or tickets in the mail for not having one in plain sight of the receivers above.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 08:49 AM   #3

Np

The FastTrak people told me that as long as it's in the car, it will be read. I keep mind in the passenger armrest compartment and it works fine. Heck, throw the thing in the trunk (either one)!
slogans7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 09:04 AM   #4

I keep mine in the passenger compartment/middle glove box thing )between the seats. No problems, always goes off even with the top up.

KRZ
KRZTACO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 12:23 PM   #5

Man, your Fastrack system is far superior to ours... it must be in plain sight of the receiver. You Californians are so high-tech!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 07:20 AM   #6

Thank's folks - I'll try both the passenger armrest and the center console (although I have a set of cupholders in the console).

I tried the dash compartment - but the unit didn't beep - which means the array doesn't see it. FWIW, FasTrac's computer system is archaic - they've sent me several "notices of violation" when the system couldn't read the transponder. They can't seem to match up the plate with the ones they have on file - although other times they read the plate off the camera and put that transit in the "read from the plate" column on the bill.

Old Fart is offline   Reply With Quote