Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2011, 07:18 PM   #1

popping sound from front window

I jsut purchased a 2000 Boxster. I have been driving it now for about a month.

When I hip a small bump or sometimes just a seam in the pavement I hear a cracking sound. Almost like a stone hitting the front window. It happens almost all the time. It is a little scary because I keep looking up at the top of the window to see if a stone has hit it.

Is this coming from where the top meets the top of the window? I have checked and there is no metal hitting metal or anything like that. Does anyone else have this issue. It is not mechanical or electical, just a lound snapping sound.

Help anyone.

Thanks

fullthrottle52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 07:20 PM   #2

Sorry about the spelling. Very tired tonight.
fullthrottle52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 07:32 PM   #3

Get a passenger to take a spin with you to narrow down the location of the sound. It may not be coming from where you think it is.
gschotland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 03:15 PM   #4

I have a similar sound coming from the bottom of the windshield where the glass meets the dash. It only happens of hot days. I've decided that it has something to do with the metal frame in that area.
Highlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 03:56 PM   #5

I believe this has to do with the fact that the window is not fixed to the top like on a sedan or coupe, as such there is more flex in the convertible body, and it is easier for the roof to "slide" against the window than it is for the whole thing to flex.

To test: Take your car to a decline, or inclined driveway, and attack the incline at an angle such that one front wheel meets the incline first. This will cause one half of the front of your car to experience an upwards force, putting strain on the window/roof joint. If it makes a noise, you know that is the culprit.

Note that I find that my car will only do this when its cold in the morning. When I come home after a trip (after it has been jostled around a bit) it doesnt make any noise.

mikstew is offline   Reply With Quote