Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2011, 10:56 AM   #1

99 Boxster - Serp Belt Replacement - A few notes

Tremendously easy DIY job. Took me 45 minutes and that included examining the engine carefully, making a hand-written diagram of the belt path, and generally taking my time (and encountering a very stuck-on engine cover that made me doubt myself and re-read the DIY guides).

A few notes:

After putting the top in service position and removing the top flat engine shelf carpeting, you have access to the front engine carpeting that covers the front engine accces cover. You'll see 4 round plastic tabs holding the carpeting in place. A wide-spaced 2 prong fork, or 2 small but tough fingers, and pull straight up. They pop off. For some reason, I thought they needed to turn off. I was wrong

My engine cover bolts came off super easy, but then my engine cover was completely stuck. I thought I missed a bolt. Turns out that the metal engine cover has a gasket behind it, and that gasket was REALLY stuck on. Took me ~5 minutes of gentle prying with a putty knife and my hands to get it to release. It has tremendous holding strength, as only one inch at a time would come lose. It didn't break loose either - it took working all the way around.

Make a diagram of the belt path when you can see it. It takes 30 seconds and makes it really easy to remember after you've removed the original belt.

Put the new belt in at the furthest working point and work back towards the side of the car you are on. Makes it alot easier with the way you are accessing it. Don't start by looping the belt around a pulley close to you - start farthest from you while the belt is loosest. Sounds obvious, but I figured I'd mention it.

Final note: My belt looked to be the full 12 years and 61k miles old and it was in pretty decent shape. Distinct cracks and wear, but not fraying and I bet it had another few years in it before it would've let go.

The belt is $30 - no reason to pay anyone to do this job or your air filter, ever, as it's so freaking easy and requires the most basic of hand tools.

Joe

P.s. I used a 15/16" socket on a 1/2" drive (not breaker bar). Both worked great on relieving the belt tensioner.

06 Civic SI - 114k miles, D.D., unbelievably reliable and fun to beat on everyday.

08 Legacy GT 5spd - 74k miles.
JoeFromPA is offline   Reply With Quote