Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2011, 03:56 PM   #1

To buy or not to buy

I am new to the forum. I live in Socal and have found a used 2001 Boxter S for sale. It would be my first Porshe. I would drive it on weekends and after work throughout Malibu Canyon, Potereo, Decker and so on. I am looking for a car for pure driving enjoyment to replace my 2007 Mini Cooper S.

What steps should I take to insure a long and enjoyable relationship with my new toy? I am planning to have it inspected before buying it. Also, can anyone recommend a good indy mechanic in Thousand Oaks/ Socal area? Should I immediately replace the IMS shaft bearing? If so, where should I go and/or how much should I spend?

Also, I am not against spending more money on a newer model but since it will be a third car, I feel a little guilty spending too much.

Thanks,

Stephen

Db2010mvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 04:56 PM   #2

Garage
Do you have history of the vehicle? You are on the right path getting it inspected and thinking about the IMS bearing upgrade, if the bearing fails you are looking at $20k plus to replace the motor.

The 986 is a blast to drive... You will enjoy the heck out of it. My 2001 has been the best car I have ever owned, it has never left me stranded... I can't say that about six other cars I have owned. Take care of a Boxter and it will get you from point "A" to point "B" with a smile on your face.

Hope to see you on the road.

Jager
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 05:14 PM   #3
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Thanks for joining the forum, always look forward to other newbies like myself joining the family. Is this a private sale or from a dealer. Tell us a little more about the car, miles, color, mods, overall condition. Sounds like you already did some homework but if you haven't Mike has a great site https://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/mikesporscheboxsterwebpages.

If you enjoy getting your hands dirty these cars are lot of fun and easy to work on. If you can get the service records it can help a lot, I knew when I got mine last Nov it had a good repair record.

The Box is a lot of fun to drive, once you get used to every ones unique noises, remember it is a convertible, you'll start feeling how great the handling is and how it seems to ride on rails.

Good luck and keep us posted.
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 07:42 PM   #4
Porscheectomy

#1 understand the weak points and potential failures of the engine
#2 get a PREPURCHASE INSPECTION
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 01:19 AM   #5

#3 Leave 10% of your budget in the bank for unknown costs.

#4 Before committing yourself and after the PPI, read, read and read again all the info available on this site, Rennlist and pedrosgarage.com so you know what you are getting into.
You don't want buyer's remorse to haunt you, especially if you are not technically inclined....
Old 05-24-2011, 08:23 AM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jager
Do you have history of the vehicle? You are on the right path getting it inspected and thinking about the IMS bearing upgrade, if the bearing fails you are looking at $20k plus to replace the motor.The 986 is a blast to drive... You will enjoy the heck out of it. My 2001 has been the best car I have ever owned, it has never left me stranded... I can't say that about six other cars I have owned. Take care of a Boxter and it will get you from point "A" to point "B" with a smile on your face.

Hope to see you on the road.

Jager
Worst case senario $10,000 will get you going again.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 02:21 PM   #7

Wrenwerks in Camarillo can do the LN IMS ungrade.
surf40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 04:30 PM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver
Worst case senario $10,000 will get you going again.

Where in CA can I get a 3.2 motor removed and replaced for $10k? I need the address and phone number.

Jager

Jager is offline   Reply With Quote