Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2011, 12:00 PM   #1

1998 Boxster P0301-P0303 odb 2 reading

I just got a check engine light come on last week, plugged my obd 2 reader and it says P0300-P0303 cylinder misfire.
The car starts up perfect rev as usual on idle no hic ups or anything, but once i drive it and push the thottle it starts to stutter and smoke out the back. I called my garage and explained the whole thing, he says the timing jumped on 1 bank cylinders 1-3. Probably due to a worn out chain guide.
So my question is has this ever happened to anyone here or can it be something simply. My plugs and coils are new less the 2000 km, and i checked the oxygen sensors. So i have an appointment next monday at the garage but just wondering if anyone can help.

Thanks

vangelo74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 12:06 PM   #2

I had a coil pak not seated correctly and came loose and gave me a check engine. Since you replace the plugs and coil paks I would have that checked first. Timing chain is a costly repair...engine needs to come out....

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 11:23 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vangelo74
I just got a check engine light come on last week, plugged my obd 2 reader and it says P0300-P0303 cylinder misfire.
The car starts up perfect rev as usual on idle no hic ups or anything, but once i drive it and push the thottle it starts to stutter and smoke out the back. I called my garage and explained the whole thing, he says the timing jumped on 1 bank cylinders 1-3. Probably due to a worn out chain guide.
So my question is has this ever happened to anyone here or can it be something simply. My plugs and coils are new less the 2000 km, and i checked the oxygen sensors. So i have an appointment next monday at the garage but just wondering if anyone can help.

Thanks
Finally got it repaired the timing chain jumped a tooth on bank 1, got both sides opened up and repaired what was needed. ended up costing 1400$ in total

vangelo74 is offline   Reply With Quote