986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Front plate ticket (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28168)

thstone 03-21-2011 03:35 PM

Jake, might I suggest a move to Los Angeles where a dude in a Porsche with a mohawk might be the most NORMAL thing that I see in day!

On a serious note, sorry to hear about the job situation. I had a similar experience with my previous employer who was violating Federal law. As a company exec, I had a duty to protect the company so I talked to the CFO and the CEO and got nowhere. Then I called the Corp office and was politely laid off within 5 days.

I negotiated the best deal I could (9 months full pay) and walked away all the wiser about good corporate citizenship (perfectly fine as long as it doesn't interfere with profits).

Hope something good shows up on the job horizon.

TWODAN 03-22-2011 09:27 AM

Mass Front Plate

If plate lettering is green, one plate is still legal. have had the same plate for over 11 years. it's legal.

Perfectlap 03-22-2011 09:50 AM

I think I've gotten at least three of those. I haven't had a front plate since 1997. My previuos car was also two seater.

I don't have a problem paying the ticket if it gives the state troopers one less thing to aim their lazer gun at...which would be a lot more expensive as far my insurance goes or the time to go to court to fight a points ticket.

Jake D 03-29-2011 08:41 AM

Finally decided to call on the front plate ticket.... $120. WTF? I was planning on going into court, but court cost is $110 so theres no real point. I'm pissed

r9i8c7k 03-29-2011 09:34 AM

In California it is a $175 fine if you just want to pay the ticket and not show any proof of correction. It is a $25 fine if you show proof of correction by having your local police sign off on the correction. Some local police departments charge up to a $10 fee to sign off on the correction.

audisnawb 03-29-2011 09:42 AM

New Hampshire

NH requires front plates too. Just plain tacky on a sports car. Ill keep it off for a while and see how things go- short of that, If I get ticketed, its not worth my time or money to leave it off- Ill put it on after my first offense.
:(

kpm 03-29-2011 12:14 PM

How much could these cash strapped states save by going to a single plate ?? Is traffic crime that much worse in states with a single plate ??

I need answers !!! ;)

chris97boxster 03-29-2011 03:26 PM

Up here in Alberta, Canada
we have been running a single plate for about 10 years
it was deemed by the government to be a cost cutting measure
Money was saved by only manufacturing one plate
we pay 65.00 a year to register our vechicles
with vanity plates costing about 170.00(approximately )
as a one time fee....65.00 thereafter for registration

besides motorcycles only have one plate
Up here. ..trailers only have one plate also

Now don't get me started on quotas that traffic officers have to meet
when they r out on patrol.....that is a different thread...
Be rest assurred that they do have them(-->quotas)

My 2 cents
Chris

brakes 03-30-2011 01:06 PM

Front Plate

2 Attachment(s)
I was pulled over about two months ago for no front plate and this is the compromise I have come up with. I know that it may not be entirely legal, but it definitely follows the spirit of the law. This is a vinyl graphic copy of my plate and it looks just like the real deal. So far, no problems and it doesn't break up the physical lines of the car.

Allen K. Littlefield 03-30-2011 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris97boxster
Up here in Alberta, Canada
we have been running a single plate for about 10 years
it was deemed by the government to be a cost cutting measure
Money was saved by only manufacturing one plate
we pay 65.00 a year to register our vechicles
with vanity plates costing about 170.00(approximately )
as a one time fee....65.00 thereafter for registration

besides motorcycles only have one plate
Up here. ..trailers only have one plate also

Now don't get me started on quotas that traffic officers have to meet
when they r out on patrol.....that is a different thread...
Be rest assurred that they do have them(-->quotas)

My 2 cents
Chris

Here in NYState, the govt. just started issuing NEW yellow plates as a state SPENDING measure I suppose. In a state teetering on bankruptcy, mfg. new license plates must have seemed a GREAT idea. I hope part of the group doing the "Sleep over" in Albany this week are not any of the 'new plate' crowd. They are protesting budget cuts, can you imagine that?

AKL :mad:

Jake D 03-31-2011 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brakes
I was pulled over about two months ago for no front plate and this is the compromise I have come up with. I know that it may not be entirely legal, but it definitely follows the spirit of the law. This is a vinyl graphic copy of my plate and it looks just like the real deal. So far, no problems and it doesn't break up the physical lines of the car.

I knew of a guy that painted his license plate on the back fender of his bike... Kinda the same idea.

I like what you did, but I have an S with the 3rd opening in the middle. I hate the way a plate looks like on the front of the car... ruins it

Lil bastard 03-31-2011 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brakes

That is going to cut it. You will eventually get cited. The reason is that your plate, not being flat, is not photographable.

In this post 911/Homeland Security world, all plates must be digital and photographable which means flat. You might as well run with no plate at all because the citation will be the same.

No need to take my word on it... you will find out on your own.

Cheers!