986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   New member hi - and a question (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28118)

jjbodean 03-13-2011 05:14 PM

New member hi - and a question

hi to all! i am looking to buy my first porsche and wanted to drop in and say "hi" first of all, as well as asking a question - i'm a serious porsche noob.

given the price as equal, would you buy a 2006 boxster with 28k miles, or a 2007 with 42k miles? equipment and packages are virtually the same. base cars, no nav, auto with tiptronic, no paintwork, good service histories and clean carfax.

thoughts?

TIA!

husker boxster 03-13-2011 07:40 PM

The 07 has 5 more HP, but that's not a big deal. If everything else is even, why not take the 14k free miles?

Which one do you like?

jjbodean 03-13-2011 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by husker boxster
The 07 has 5 more HP, but that's not a big deal. If everything else is even, why not take the 14k free miles?

Which one do you like?

i'd be fine with either one, really, but the year vs the miles presents the quandry...

WhipE350 03-13-2011 07:53 PM

Welcome! Always good to have new folks on the forum. So few questions:

- First Porsche?
- Which one do you like the most?
- Is there any warranty on either
- Do you like doing your own maintenance?
- Daily driver or occasional?

PhilNotHill 03-13-2011 08:13 PM

All things being equal I would the the one with lesser miles.

Good luck and may the horse be with you!

jjbodean 03-14-2011 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhipE350
Welcome! Always good to have new folks on the forum. So few questions:

- First Porsche?
- Which one do you like the most?
- Is there any warranty on either
- Do you like doing your own maintenance?
- Daily driver or occasional?

yes, 1st porsche
no warranty on either
do not like doing my own maintenance, will go to local dealer
weekend driver / 3rd car

i could go with either one, the 2006 is red with tan interior (better looking, imo) while the 2007 is silver on gray (a bit bland)

Perfectlap 03-14-2011 10:37 AM

you should go to borders or barnes and noble and pick up the latest Excellence magazine. They have a section in the back where they list market rates for different year Boxsters. There has been a big bouce back in prices since the 2009 bottom. Particularly for non-S Boxsters which took a massive drop on credit dried up. The S models weren't affected as greatly for some reason. But anyhow, you should see how their prices compare to the offers you are considering.

jjbodean 03-14-2011 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perfectlap
you should go to borders or barnes and noble and pick up the latest Excellence magazine. They have a section in the back where they list market rates for different year Boxsters. There has been a big bouce back in prices since the 2009 bottom. Particularly for non-S Boxsters which took a massive drop on credit dried up. The S models weren't affected as greatly for some reason. But anyhow, you should see how their prices compare to the offers you are considering.

thanks, but i have lots of dealer info handy. i have my access to a manheim account as i was in the car biz for 14 years, so i am looking at pricing just above wholesale. really just need to know about the actual cars themselves. ;)

Quickurt 03-14-2011 03:54 PM

Welcome JJ!! Happy surfing, this is a great site!!

Go with the miles and buy a good warranty. There are several threads on warranty companies here on the forum and it's a good time to learn the search feature!! :cheers:

WhipE350 03-15-2011 04:56 PM

Sounds like you will be most happy with the 06!...but then I'm partial to Red. According to Consumer Reports the 06 has a little better rating, though I'm not sure how much info they get in on the Porsche Boxster. Go get the thing and have fun.

Did you drive a manual, I wanted tip but then I drove a manual and realized it would be weekend and occasional only so I went with manual.

Keep us posted! :cheers:

PhilNotHill 03-15-2011 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quickurt
Welcome JJ!! Happy surfing, this is a great site!!

Go with the miles and buy a good warranty. There are several threads on warranty companies here on the forum and it's a good time to learn the search feature!! :cheers:

More importantly, the ADVANCED SEARCH FEATURE.

Use the titles feature. :cool:

jjbodean 03-16-2011 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilNotHill
More importantly, the ADVANCED SEARCH FEATURE.

Use the titles feature. :cool:

not a problem, i'm a multiple forum user, search is your friend. :D

and whip, i would get a manual personally, but the wife has to be able to drive it. she no drive stick, and i dont have the patience to try and teach her. ;)

WhipE350 03-16-2011 06:30 PM

Ya my girl wants to learn to drive the six speed, she's never driven one. I did manage to get her moving forward on the 3rd try, but lets face it the boxster 'S' first gear is not for beginners...I know my car will never be borrowed, she clearly sees how hard it is ;)

yes, 1st porsche - Kewl! I got my first in Nov. Enjoy.
no warranty on either - Do a lot of research, get one if you feel you need it.
do not like doing my own maintenance, will go to local dealer - Find a Indy ;)
weekend driver / 3rd car - I would go with lower mileage probably but you can't go wrong either way...get the one you know you will like peeking in the garage to look at :cheers: