986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   More cost effective Brake upgrades ?? (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28088)

shlim8 03-10-2011 09:22 PM

More cost effective Brake upgrades ??

Now that I've sorted out most of the other issues, I'm exploring upgrade options for the braking.....

Besides the usual upgrade to the "S" front brakes and or aftermarket pads, are there other cost effective brake upgrades.

The "S" front brakes seems to be only marginally bigger so are they really worth upgrading to ??

I'm looking for upgrades such as using brakes from the cayenne or 911 ?? I'm exploring the Cayenne brakes as there is a set for sale coming off a 2011 Cayenne S which someone is taking delivery of, next month. Unfortunately I don't know whether the calipers and rotors will fit - firstly because I'm still on 17" rims and whether the caliper mounts will fit (plus offset ??) ??

Are there calipers/rotors from the other Porsche models that are known to fit with minimal modifications ??

The car is used more for high speed highway driving, not track. Am looking for alittle more confidence in the braking power, which is currently marginally sufficient when you are dodging a truck that just suddenly pulled out in front of you (unfortunately that's the way the drive here) on the highway. I used to have 345mm front and 312mm back on my VW Scirocco and that had oodles of braking power to spare..

j.fro 03-11-2011 01:21 AM

The primary advantage of larger brakes for the Boxster is greater cooling and the ability to avoid brake fade during repeated heavy braking.

My first suggestion for better brake feel is a set of stainless brake hoses and a good flush with Ate Blue.
Beyond that, you'd want to go to a different set of brake pads. How much noise & brake dust are you willing to put up with?

shlim8 03-11-2011 03:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by j.fro
The primary advantage of larger brakes for the Boxster is greater cooling and the ability to avoid brake fade during repeated heavy braking.

My first suggestion for better brake feel is a set of stainless brake hoses and a good flush with Ate Blue.
Beyond that, you'd want to go to a different set of brake pads. How much noise & brake dust are you willing to put up with?

I've already got the stainless brake hoses. Not sure what brake fluid I've got though...

Rather have less brake dust and noise, but if it helps... Current rotors are zimmermans and the pads are textar (standard items...).

Any suggestions for pads ? Something with not too much noise, hopefully.

ekam 03-11-2011 03:33 AM

S front brake upgrade is worth it, been done many times by many people. Nowadays I have to watch who's behind me when I hit the brakes hard. :cool:

If you want even better brakes, get the Girodisc rotors which are even bigger than stock S brakes but requires at least 18-19" wheels to fit.

If you want even better brakes, get the 6 pistons Brembo GT kit which is around $5000USD.

insite 03-11-2011 04:11 AM

the cayenne brakes are huge and heavy, designed to stop a VERY large vehicle.

the S brakes are a HUGE upgrade to the boxster; no comparison on the track. i had many problems with the standard brakes & never really had confidence in the system. the S brakes + GT3 brake ducts bought + race pads bought me almost two seconds a lap & instill a lot of confidence by comparison.

IMO, you will see a net performance DECREASE w/ cayenne brakes due to increased unsprung mass. i bet you'll get better stopping distance w/ the S brakes.

after a point, it all comes down to tires anyway......

ekam 03-11-2011 05:14 AM

Cayenne brakes are popular mod for Audi TT and Golfs... but I agree you can only have so much brakes until you reach the limited grip of the tires.

Pat 03-11-2011 06:31 AM

Insite is right on the money.
That said, if you don't track the car, I would keep your calipers. Then put in fresh fluid and good pads. After that, tires will dictate how quickly you stop.
Going to anything else will be wasted money and potentially decreased performance based on where you drive.
Oh, and frequently pads that throw off a lot of dust are the ones that stop best. It's up to you to determine where you fall on the scale of
No Dust ------------ Stopping Power

smcgeary 03-11-2011 08:47 AM

Put the GT3 ducts on. I do track my car, and noticed a great deal less fade on extended runs after installing the ducts. Now I don't have the guts to push the car as deep as the brakes will allow. Best (or maybe only) useful cheap/easy mod you can do!

coolbreeze551 03-11-2011 09:30 AM

Has anyone had experience with these?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/NEW-GENUINE-PORSCHE-986-BOXSTER-BIG-RED-BRAKE-CALIPERS-/360341926385?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories &hash=item53e60d71f1

Any thoughts?

:cheers:

Fluellen 03-11-2011 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shlim8
The car is used more for high speed highway driving, not track. Am looking for alittle more confidence in the braking power, which is currently marginally sufficient when you are dodging a truck that just suddenly pulled out in front of you (unfortunately that's the way the drive here) on the highway. I used to have 345mm front and 312mm back on my VW Scirocco and that had oodles of braking power to spare..

I don't see why, given your driving situation, you need to upgrade the brakes. The stock brakes have more than sufficient power to stop your car very quickly, at Autobahn speeds. What bigger brakes are going to give you is additional fade resistance. But for highway driving, you won't need that. For highway driving, your biggest differentiator is the tire. On track, it's a completely different story of course...

Topless 03-11-2011 12:37 PM

Remember that stopping distance is mostly a factor of weight and tire grip, not brake components. Base Boxster brakes are some of the best in the business with a stopping distance similar to a Ferrari Marinello. If your car does not stop on a dime, there is something terribly wrong with your brakes (contaminated brake fluid, bad master cylinder, bad wheel caliper. bad brake booster, etc.)

Get your brakes checked by a qualified tech. After having your brake system thoroughly serviced, switching to a more aggressive bite will give you quicker braking response with less pedal effort. Pagid black, Performance friction 03, Raybestos ST-43 are a few good choices with a lot of bite. These pads will easily overpower a set of stock street tires on the front. Maybe just better tires is your answer.

insite 03-11-2011 02:20 PM

topless is right. the difference w/ the brake upgrades is not the stopping distance. it's how many times in rapid succession you can panic stop without boiling the fluid, fading the pads or causing a fire.......

with cars like the cayenne, even a single panic stop from 100mph could cause fade problems if it had the brakes of, oh, a boxster...... weight is a concern.

with a tiny car like the box & only street driving, you will, as i said, see a net performance LOSS due to the added unsprung weight if you put cayenne brakes on your car. now if you want them because they look cool, well that's a different issue. :)

Roy_Josef 03-11-2011 05:12 PM

I seem to remember someone saying that when you put Box 'S'/996 front brakes on you can take your 'old' front calipers and rotors and put them on the rear. (Front left to right rear, Front right to left rear) Any truth to this?

shlim8 03-11-2011 07:26 PM

Hmmm, thanks for all the inputs.

I've currently got pretty new Michelin PS3 upfront and PS2 behind (both less than 8k km).... Made the mistake of changing the front to PS3 then realized that they don't make PS3 of the right size for the rears. The fronts are not N specs. But I presume this shouldn't be the cause of my problem ?

Oh, my front calipers were rebuilt afew months ago (one side sticking).

Does the ABS system on the Box come on to prevent ALL wheel locks ?? I did lock my front wheels once or twice and the ABS didn't come on.. No ABS warning light on at the moment. I've never felt the ABS coming on before at all (I presume there would be juddering feeling from the brake pedal ?).

Maybe I need to have that looked at first. Maybe a faulty ABS sensor ??

insite 03-12-2011 02:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roy_Josef
I seem to remember someone saying that when you put Box 'S'/996 front brakes on you can take your 'old' front calipers and rotors and put them on the rear. (Front left to right rear, Front right to left rear) Any truth to this?

you CAN do this, but DON'T! the brake system is designed to have smaller caliper pistons in back than up front. the pistons on the boxster front are the same size as the boxster s front. this means that by putting the front calipers on the back, you change the brake bias.....a lot.

since the car dives when you brake, roughly 70% of the car's weight is over the front tires during a heavy stop. this means that about 70% of the car's braking power is designed into the front brake system. if the rear brakes are too big, the rears will lock up well before the fronts (particularly if braking in corners). the potential for spins is very real. just ask pedro. :rolleyes:

ekam 03-12-2011 06:17 AM

Well first of all that's called trail braking. As a novice you're not supposed to have your foot on the brake when you enter the corner anyway. It's an advanced driving technique and definitely not for someone who's not experienced.

That being said, I'm going to do the swap, but don't to what I do. It's bad for you. :D

insite 03-12-2011 07:46 AM

it's not called trail braking on the street. how about a panic stop in wet weather on a slight bend? the bias is too heavily rear for street OR track. if you do this, it's not a matter of if, but WHEN you will spin (street or track). a brake system is supposed to be balanced. moving the fronts to the back is a dumb idea.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ekam
Well first of all that's called trail braking. As a novice you're not supposed to have your foot on the brake when you enter the corner anyway. It's an advanced driving technique and definitely not for someone who's not experienced.

That being said, I'm going to do the swap, but don't to what I do. It's bad for you. :D

Topless 03-12-2011 09:17 AM

Shlim8,

Sounds like you indeed have brake issues. Take your car out to a barren road and do a few full simulated panic stops from 50-0. Your car should go into ABS judder every time with no wheel lock up. If it does not you need some brake work. My car is really set up for track rubber and I get used to threshold braking and very high braking forces. When driving on the street with stock 205mm PS2 tires I get into ABS a lot.

thstone 03-12-2011 05:47 PM

I had a brake situation similar to the OP when I first bought my used Boxster - I'd slam on the brakes at about 50mph and it seemed like the car just didn't want to stop and the ABS wouldn't kick in. I also tried pad break-in runs with no improvement.

I also replaced the tires with Michelin PS2's. Whether PS2 or PS3, the tires should now be fine and giving you all of the grip needed to stop very well.

I decided to start at the obvious and work my way up so the first thing do to was to replace the rotors and pads (I went with Cquence drilled rotors and EBC Redstuff pads but any good rotor and pad would be fine for the street). I also installed the GT-3 brake ducts at the same time (cheap and easy). Didn't touch the fluid or ABS system.

Now I can stop on a dime and as another writer commented, I have to be careful about out-braking the car behind me on the street and worry about getting rear-ended. Also, now if I get on the brakes hard, I can get the ABS to engage and feel the judder.

If this hadn't addressed the issue, then a full brake fluid flush would have been next.

If pads, rotors, and fluid hadn't worked, I'd have taken the car in to a mechanic or dealer for evaluation and see what they recommended.

shlim8 03-13-2011 04:43 AM

thstone, before u did all the mods on your brakes.... did your brakes lock but the abs didn't kick in ? Or the car just refused to stop but brakes didn't lock ? In my case, I think the brakes are working well but the abs has yet to cut in. It does take pretty hard braking to lock the brakes.