Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2011, 08:23 PM   #1

POST your intake mod here

my fried and toasted cats are getting replaced with Fabspeed headers and possibly their muffler.
So....which intake would you go with or is the money better spent new software?
It seems like all of the intake units sell for about $300 which seems a little steep to me for such simple hardware. I'm hesitant to spend on both the intake and ECU upgrade because I've a long list of new things I'd rather put the mod money towards..namely shocks and a set of 997 turbo replica wheels

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 04:42 AM   #2

did this to fit the 3.4L. this is a BMC DIA air box with a MAF housing out of a BMW 540i and some custom silicone plumbing. sounds awesome.

the DIA box is around $200. the maf housing was $20 from someone on bimmerforums.com. the silicone hoses, joiners and clamps were another $200, but that's only because i had to buy a 135deg hose from samco to fit the angle of the 3.4L. that one was like $100.

if i had to do this to a regulat boxster, it would be around $265 total.

FYI, in this process, i found out that a lot of the aftermarket intake kits use the STOCK tubing & just swap out the airbox for a 'cold air' box. the BMC DIA is closed & you can plumb the airbox inlet directly to the car's body inlet.

props to cloudsurfer w/ the design idea & to JAAY for a lead on the MAF housing.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 05:32 AM   #3

I can vouch for the sound of that intake. It sounds incredible.
xamfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 05:55 AM   #4

And when you post

tell us some about what the changes did for/to driveability and mileage.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 06:38 AM   #5

Garage
I have the Evolution Motorsports intake on my vehicle. Maybe a slight blip in hp, but the sound is awesome !
Old 03-11-2011, 06:57 AM   #6

Question, if most of these aftermarket intakes use the same (more or less) cone filter, what difference is there between them all?
By the way I'm sure we would love to hear clips of some of these mods for comparison.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:07 AM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
Question, if most of these aftermarket intakes use the same (more or less) cone filter, what difference is there between them all?
By the way I'm sure we would love to hear clips of some of these mods for comparison.

Somewhere "Geppetto" is producing this intake for companies like Evolution Motorsports, FabSpeed and FVD/Brombacher, because they're all offering essentially the same product. In fact, FabSpeed's intake is actual Evo's . As far as sound is concerned, at idle its virtually undetectable. However, put your foot in the radiator, and it just screams !

Last edited by Johnny Danger; 03-20-2011 at 09:04 AM.
Johnny Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 07:46 AM   #8

Has anyone made the Pedro intake? I know its not as fancy as the ones you all have but hows that turn out?
Old 03-11-2011, 07:54 AM   #9

hey insite - i've been looking at those bmc inline cone filters too. i note that you don't have yours plumbed-in to the side vent - is it possible? i also note that you step-up the diameter on the outflow of the air box; does the larger filter with the larger output diameter not fit in the space available (i ask given that, as soon as you start making air fit into different sized spaces, you are doing more work)?
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 08:11 AM   #10

it's absolutely possible to plumb it over to the vent. i plan on doing this w/ some SCAT hose; just haven't gotten around to it.

the airbox outlet & the throttle body inlet are the same size, but for some reason, porsche chose a MAF housing with a larger size. the throttle & airbox outlet are matched, though, so there's not really any benefit to up-sizing the BMC box. i think it's the biggest one they make, anyway. i think it's 85mm.

with the 2.5 / 2.7L boxsters, you would NOT step up. instead, you would have a smaller MAF (from a 535i instead of a 540i) housing.

i'll try to post a sound clip this weekend. hard to separate the sound of the inlet from the exhaust, though......my car is LOUD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King
hey insite - i've been looking at those bmc inline cone filters too. i note that you don't have yours plumbed-in to the side vent - is it possible? i also note that you step-up the diameter on the outflow of the air box; does the larger filter with the larger output diameter not fit in the space available (i ask given that, as soon as you start making air fit into different sized spaces, you are doing more work)?

Old 03-11-2011, 08:11 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger
Somewhere "Geppetto" is producing this intake for companies like Evolution Motorsports, FabSpeed and FVD/Brombacher, because they're all offering essentially the same product. In fact, FabSpeed's intakes is actual Evo's . As far as sound is concerned, at idle its virtually undetectable. However, put your foot in the radiator, and it just screams !
I';ve noticed that the Agency Power intakes look the same as well and are cheaper by about a hundred bucks, slightly more than insite's DIY.
My only concern is if it will be too loud with the headers and mufflers going in.
I've done these sorts of mods on other cars but the gains were better so i didn't feel like it was 'all show ...w/ just a little more go'.
Makes me wonder if I'll get a great sound with the stock intake and all the other mods just at a sligthly lower decibel.
Old 03-11-2011, 11:20 AM   #12

Garage
Quote:
I';ve noticed that the Agency Power intakes look the same as well and are cheaper by about a hundred bucks, slightly more than insite's DIY.
My only concern is if it will be too loud with the headers and mufflers going in.
I've done these sorts of mods on other cars but the gains were better so i didn't feel like it was 'all show ...w/ just a little more go'.
Makes me wonder if I'll get a great sound with the stock intake and all the other mods just at a sligthly lower decibel.

Apart from any exhausts mods that you may do (take it from me- I've done them all), the intake creates a unique and exciting sound thats all its own. Don't be concerned about it being too loud . It doesn't create sound in the same sense that an exhaust system does . It simply adds an awesome bark at certain rpm's. You'll love it !
Old 03-11-2011, 02:21 PM   #13

well that's good to hear. But if it really just comes down to adding some more accoustic tunes, I'll put this one lower down the pecking order. Upgraded tires (open to suggestions, Eagle F1's are on their last summer), shocks (thinking of sticking with OEM) are going a little higher up on the list and have not been changed since the car left Finland. $300 smackers is a bigger deal to me now that it was before.
Old 03-11-2011, 02:56 PM   #14
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Question...is it possible to shorten the snorkel, attach a cone filter to it, remove the old air filter, then insulate better the tube that runs from the filter box to the throttle body?
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 03:37 PM   #15

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipE350
Question...is it possible to shorten the snorkel, attach a cone filter to it, remove the old air filter, then insulate better the tube that runs from the filter box to the throttle body?
First off , it will be very difficult to find a cone filter that will fit into the oem air box. Secondly, how will you direct airflow into the enclosed box ?
Old 03-11-2011, 03:47 PM   #16
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Tru, maybe the cones are bigger then I thought, I did have that chamber opened once and it was pretty spacious but maybe not enough for a cone. What I was saying is shorten the snorkel enough so a cone would fit on it. Not sure I follow your direct air flow question. I would just leave the existing filter box in place, just remove the filter...I donno it was just a thought...
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 03:47 PM   #17

Garage
Quote:
well that's good to hear. But if it really just comes down to adding some more accoustic tunes, I'll put this one lower down the pecking order. Upgraded tires (open to suggestions, Eagle F1's are on their last summer), shocks (thinking of sticking with OEM) are going a little higher up on the list and have not been changed since the car left Finland. $300 smackers is a bigger deal to me now that it was before.

Obviously, there are performance benefits to the intake as well. Exactly how much more is debatable? The manufactures claim hp and torque gains of 8-10 . Personally, I think those specs are a bit high, or they reflect numbers that coincided with other mods . Still, I think that its a worthwhile mod if a person has the lettuce to spend.
Old 03-11-2011, 04:21 PM   #18

Tires - Dunlop direzza z1 star spec is by far the most bang for the buck

Shocks - I have a set of lightly used bilstein hd if you are interested

The intake is a nice mod, but without other items at the same time, it's not going to provide much oomf.

Quote:

Old 03-12-2011, 04:36 AM   #19

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipE350
Tru, maybe the cones are bigger then I thought, I did have that chamber opened once and it was pretty spacious but maybe not enough for a cone. What I was saying is shorten the snorkel enough so a cone would fit on it. Not sure I follow your direct air flow question. I would just leave the existing filter box in place, just remove the filter...I donno it was just a thought...
All of these after-market intakes have their own dedicated air box . The box is completely open on one side, and they sit nearly flush against the side air intake. This allows the cone filter to draw a high volume of incoming air . Thus, the name high flow air take.
Assuming that you could fit a cone style filter in the enclosed oem air box, regardless of how you modify the snorkel, I don't think that it would direct enough air flow for the intake to be effective.

Last edited by Johnny Danger; 03-12-2011 at 04:39 AM.
Johnny Danger is offline   Reply With Quote