986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   another tire question (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28076)

fab 03-10-2011 04:54 AM

another tire question

it is time to replace my 00 boxster rear tires. I have the Pirelli P Zero tires. I beleive this tire is discontinued. Questions:
1. I only need to replace my rear is it okay to have 2 different name brands?
2. The car is in hibernation I will only be driving my car when the temps go above 40F, weekend rides..top down so noise is a factor and the car will never see snow. What name brand tire would you recommend?
Fab

t2-bxtrs 03-10-2011 06:24 AM

Rear Tire replacement

Hello,
i was in the same situation last Summer when i needed the front tires replaced..
The previous 2 summers ago i needed to replace the rear tires which were Michelin Pilot Sport PS2's.. then two Summer's later i replaced the two front ones with the same PS2's, it was a marked improvement overall (braking/handling)etc.
I can only recommend sticking it out with what you have right now, same brand/same thread pattern to eliminate the chance of un-evenness!
There's always Tirerack.com for any question's when it comes to tires.
I hope this help's...
Happy Boxstering!
t2

BYprodriver 03-10-2011 09:23 AM

As long as the tires have comparable handling capabilities you are fine regardless of brand. Speed rating is a good guideline for handling potential. I assume your Pzero's are Z rated so stay with a comparable speed rating & go with Michelin non-allseason for a quiet ride. :cool:

tonycarreon 03-10-2011 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fab

no

Quote:

Originally Posted by fab
2. The car is in hibernation I will only be driving my car when the temps go above 40F, weekend rides..top down so noise is a factor and the car will never see snow. What name brand tire would you recommend?

depends. i really liked the potenza i used to have. i currently have the sumitomo htz iii - while they were fine for the price i don't think i'll stick with them when the next change comes.

Mike_Yi 03-10-2011 02:08 PM

Do you track the car or autocross it? If so, you probably want to replace all four. Even if you were able to replace the rear two with the same kind, they will have different grip characteristics because of the difference in heat cycles. Brand really doesn't matter. It's more the specific handling qualities of the tires. I would go with a complete set.

If you don't track your car or use it for auto-x, I don't think it will matter. You just won't (or shouldn't on the street) have a chance to be pushing the car to the limits where it will matter. Just get tires that have similar handling qualities.

If you've got tons of money, get the Michelins. If not, but still want to a really good tire, look at the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric. It's rated better than the PS2 in most places and is WAY cheaper. If you won't be tracking it, just look at Tire Rack and read reviews to see what people say. You might be able to find something fairly cheap that will do what you need it to. Look at "summer" tires.

SoCalKen 03-10-2011 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fab
it is time to replace my 00 boxster rear tires. I have the Pirelli P Zero tires. I beleive this tire is discontinued. Questions:
Fab

I was in the same dilema last year as the rears usualy go at a 2:1 rate to the fronts. However I didn't want to stay with the P zero. I had the Rosso P zeros. I started a thread asking what tires others liked and "for the money" there were many fans of the Falken 912. I was able to buy all 4 for close to the price of just 2 rear P zero tires. I'm happy with them and would recommend them. I have a 00s with 18 inch tires. the only thing was that when I bought them the manager told me they were fazing out the 912 series and recommended I buy the model they were updating it with. I can't say if this was just a sales pitch to sell what he had in stock as he had to order in the 912s.
Ken

mikefocke 03-11-2011 06:18 AM

Options

2 or 4 Tires ?

Are you replacing all 4 or just the rears? How much tread is still available on the fronts? Most people get a set of rears and then the next time replace all 4.

Is it safe to have wide differences in tread depth on the same axle? No. The old tire should have 70% or more of its original tread depth for optimum safe handling with a new tire on the same axle.

Can you have different tread types on the 2 axles? You can, not optimum. Wouldn't even be allowed in some countries.

At least put same depth and same tread design on an axle.

Option 1: Stick with what you have and replace only the 2 rears. Then next time plan to change all 4.

Pro: Keeps the tread pattern and handling characteristics mostly consistent. Moderate cost.

Con: Don't get the fun of changing. Don't get the tires you might really want right now.

Option 2: Change only the rear 2 with another brand/pattern.

Pro: Moderate cost.

Con: Most inconsistent handling. May not be an issue in normal highway driving but in the wet and at the limits or in an emergency?

Option 3: Change all 4 with less expensive tires

Pro: Consistent handling. Moderate cost.

Con: All tires are built with compromises. What did the cheap tire leave out to get to this price point? It can be nothing but advertising and profit that make the difference. Hard to tell.

Option 4: Change all 4 with the tires you really want

Pro: Get best tire this way. Totally new experience.

Con: Costs as much as 70% more than options 1, 2 or 3

J Tinsby 03-11-2011 03:20 PM

Good advice

Quote:

Originally Posted by t2-bxtrs
two Summer's later i replaced the two front ones with the same PS2's, it was a marked improvement overall (braking/handling)etc.
I can only recommend sticking it out with what you have right now,

There's always Tirerack.com for any question's when it comes to tires.
I hope this help's...
Happy Boxstering!
t2

A few months back my wife managed to run over a rock tearing a hole in the sidewall of a Blizzak tire on her Benz SLK. Called all over the country and even called Bridgestone and there was no replacement to be found anywhere.

So I called the illustrious Tire Rack and asked them if they had a suitable/comparable tire I could use to match the one that was destroyed. I was told to get a pair of the latest Blizzaks and "it would be fine". I doubted them but went ahead and bought 2. Bad advice ( and I am being kind )

The two different models of Blizzaks were NOT at all compatible or safe to use with the existing ones. The car was undriveable under any circumstance.

I ended up buying all 4 matching tires and of course then it was "fine"

I should have followed my gut: Don't mix tire brands, make sure all 4 are the identical make and model. Lest you end up like I did.

Good luck!

laphan 03-11-2011 03:49 PM

You might want to check rebates for 4 tires.
Bridgestone has $70 rebate if you buy 4 right now. Also, try to find lowest online price and bring it to Belle or discount tire store and they will match it.

I bought mine last month when BFG/michelin has rebate $50. I bought 4 BFG g-force sport for total of $316 tax included ($466 by force to match tire rack price - $50 BFG/michelin rebate - $100 discount tire rebate). It is not the best tire but should be good for the price that I paid.

Pat 03-11-2011 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Tinsby
A few months back my wife managed to run over a rock tearing a hole in the sidewall of a Blizzak tire on her Benz SLK. Called all over the country and even called Bridgestone and there was no replacement to be found anywhere.

So I called the illustrious Tire Rack and asked them if they had a suitable/comparable tire I could use to match the one that was destroyed. I was told to get a pair of the latest Blizzaks and "it would be fine". I doubted them but went ahead and bought 2. Bad advice ( and I am being kind )

The two different models of Blizzaks were NOT at all compatible or safe to use with the existing ones. The car was undriveable under any circumstance.

I ended up buying all 4 matching tires and of course then it was "fine"

I should have followed my gut: Don't mix tire brands, make sure all 4 are the identical make and model. Lest you end up like I did.

Good luck!

The car was undriveable under any circumstance? That's difficult to believe. What were the two tire models and respective tread depths? Stock sizes?
I am able to drive my car in dry conditions with any OEM size tires on it.

J Tinsby 03-13-2011 08:32 AM

go for it

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pat
The car was undriveable under any circumstance? That's difficult to believe. What were the two tire models and respective tread depths? Stock sizes?
I am able to drive my car in dry conditions with any OEM size tires on it.

I don't have the old Blizzaks so I can't tell you the model they were. Tread depth was at least 8/32" on the old tires. Same width on the new as the old tires.

When driving on a dry road you could feel that the front tires, the OLD ones, were 'rolling over' more than the rear, NEW ones. Possibly due to a stiffer sidewall, I am guessing. On a wet or slippery road this would have been deadly and it sure didn't inspire confidence on a dry road. Any sudden turn of the wheel to avoid an accident would probably cause one.

WFIW the latest Porsche Panorama mag has a question about tires too. The conclusion is the same as my posting. Don't mix brands or tire models.

If you want to drive with whatever tires on your car it's your business and good luck with it.

Lobo1186 03-13-2011 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fab
Fab

In answer to number 1, YES you can. But, as mentioned if you want to track your car or AX it is undesirable.

I was in your position where I needed to change out the fronts. It ended up giving me massive oversteer. By no means is it the end of the world. As long as you know what your car is doing you will be fine.

If you just want to use your car to drive around it is the same premise, know its capabilities and drive within them.

Moral of the story, if you want to save a buck go ahead and just change the rear.

fab 03-17-2011 04:28 AM

Thank you everyone for your comments.
I decieded to buy all 4 tires and I am going to go with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus

chris97boxster 03-17-2011 10:20 AM

Glad u went with 4 new
u won't b disappointed with the michelins

Sell the old fronts....some one will scoop them up
probably use them in a drift competition
Chris