Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2011, 12:45 PM   #1

3 year, 36k mile extended warranty for $1280?

Would you consider this good insurance that covers the following? This is for a 2002 Boxster S 6 speed with 81k miles. Thanks.

Engine:
Crankshaft & bearings, oil pump, oil pump pickup/screen and tube, pistons, rings, wrist pins, connecting rods & bearings, timing gears, chain/belt, timing tensioners/guides, camshaft, bearings, push rods, rocker arms/shaft, hydraulic lifters, intake and exhaust valves and springs, cylinder head gaskets. Engine blocks covered if mechanical failure was caused by above-listed parts.

Transmission:
Internal transmission parts consisting of gears, input and output shafts, bearings, overdrive housing. Transmission case if malfunction was caused by the above listed parts.

Drive axle assembly:
Drive shaft, ring/pinion gears, pinion bearings, side carrier bearings, carrier assembly, thrust washers, axle, axle bearings, limited slip clutch pack assembly, universal joints, CV joints [except if boot was damaged or missing], drive axle housing.

Cooling:
Water pump, - limited to 50% parts & labor.

Electrical:
Alternator, starter and voltage regulator - limited to 50% parts & labor.

24 Hr emergency roadside service:
Towing, flat-tire assistance, lock-out service, “jump-starting”, fuel and fluid delivery, safe and secure package.

Last edited by PorscheG96; 03-16-2011 at 11:07 AM.
PorscheG96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 12:59 PM   #2

look at the fine print. Their lawyers go through this with the jeweler's loupe and usually demand that you not miss a single scheduled maintance by even a day or they'll deny the claim. "all work must be done by a certified mechanic" bla bla..in other words no DIY maintenance. Usually. They have to throw up as many road blocks in paying out a catastrophic failure as possible. i doubt they will require the work be done at a Porsche dealer but I doubt an "approved" shop is going to charge you the same book rates as Toyota. Also, hourly rates for some Porsche specialits is not that much lower than the dealer rate. I don't go to those.
Also, I believe one forum member (Navarro?) had to take a well known insurer (Warranty Direct?) to Court in order for them to pay up. I think they had some argument about the oil not getting changed frequently enough.

p.s.
I don't think I've ever heard of someone on here reporting theat their after market warranty covered the cost of their blown engine. ever. 9 times out of 10 it's Porsche good will or the owner has to eat the new engine cost.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 04:42 AM   #3

If you are sure that it will cover an IMS failure and the company is reputable that sounds like a good deal. Give us the name of the carrier and agency if any.

Be careful about what they will demand re the service records and receipts for the first 81K, and what they will require on all future maintenance. They'll use ANY excuse not to cover your $12,000 IMS failure claim.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:47 AM   #4
Certified Boxster Addict

Based on your posting, some of the wording is open to interpretation:

While the crankshaft bearings are clearly covered, its not clear whether "camshaft, bearings," means that the intermediate shaft and bearing is covered. Furthermore, because the crankshaft and the camshaft are mentioned by name, one would normally conclude that the intermidiate shaft was omitted on purpose.

Also, none of the engine seals are explicitly mentioned as being covered (RMS and/or cam cover leaks come to mind).

Based on confusing wording regarding the IMS and lack of coverage for the RMS, I'd suggest thinking twice about this warranty because its not likely to save you from the most likely catastrophic costs.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 11:06 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone
Based on your posting, some of the wording is open to interpretation:

While the crankshaft bearings are clearly covered, its not clear whether "camshaft, bearings," means that the intermediate shaft and bearing is covered. Furthermore, because the crankshaft and the camshaft are mentioned by name, one would normally conclude that the intermidiate shaft was omitted on purpose.

Also, none of the engine seals are explicitly mentioned as being covered (RMS and/or cam cover leaks come to mind).

Based on confusing wording regarding the IMS and lack of coverage for the RMS, I'd suggest thinking twice about this warranty because its not likely to save you from the most likely catastrophic costs.
You guys are great and I completely agree. Not only is the wording of this coverage vague, but the full TOS was difficult to obtain which instantly gave me a bad feeling. I'd have to fully redline with a lawyer which is a waste of time and money. Additionally, I ran failure scenarios through my head and could only think of 2 or 3 that could possibly be covered here [for example, I don't think water pump replacement pre-failure is covered, or if the water pump failed the resulting cracked head, slipped sleeves, RMS, etc etc] so I've passed on the extended warranty.

Last edited by PorscheG96; 03-16-2011 at 11:08 AM.
PorscheG96 is offline   Reply With Quote