Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2011, 11:19 AM   #1

Help! Water in passenger footwell, electrics gone mad!

Help! I really need some advice.

I have a 2005 Boxster S....It started with the alarm going off for no reason, then the roof cover going up and down on its own, the windows opening halfway and then a flat battery, after charging the battery a warning light came up saying soemthing like 'roof not reached optimum position'. After reading various bit and pieces on the internet, I checked the passenger footwell and it was full of water, with the foam under the carpet soaked.

I have taken the seat out, removed the electrics under the seat to dry them out, dried out the carpet (was only wet at the back of the footwell not the front) and the foam, the two drains under the bonnet are clear but i cannot check the two under the roof cover as the roof doesnt work and after a recent down pour more water has got in to the car so i am assuming that is where it is getting in.

I need to solve the water getting in before I go about trying to fix/replace the electrics but dont know how to get the roof down to clear the drains (if that actually is the problem!), any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

nh1708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 04:04 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nh1708
Help! I really need some advice.

I have a 2005 Boxster S....It started with the alarm going off for no reason, then the roof cover going up and down on its own, the windows opening halfway and then a flat battery, after charging the battery a warning light came up saying soemthing like 'roof not reached optimum position'. After reading various bit and pieces on the internet, I checked the passenger footwell and it was full of water, with the foam under the carpet soaked.

I have taken the seat out, removed the electrics under the seat to dry them out, dried out the carpet (was only wet at the back of the footwell not the front) and the foam, the two drains under the bonnet are clear but i cannot check the two under the roof cover as the roof doesnt work and after a recent down pour more water has got in to the car so i am assuming that is where it is getting in.

I need to solve the water getting in before I go about trying to fix/replace the electrics but dont know how to get the roof down to clear the drains (if that actually is the problem!), any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
The ECU is under the driver's seat...did it get wet. I would dry out the carpet and maybe use a hair dryer to eliminate moisture at electrical connections first. See if you can get the electrics working properly. Mine has gotten wet and not failed. The top maybe leaking at the rubber boot. Do a simple test...take the top to service position and then pour, maybe a pint or half pint of water in the boot and watch how it drains. If you remove the interior piece at the pillar you will notice a void or body air space. If the water is leaking in and around the boot it will come into the car at this point. That was why mine leaked. Good luck.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 12:25 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcb986
The ECU is under the driver's seat...did it get wet. I would dry out the carpet and maybe use a hair dryer to eliminate moisture at electrical connections first. See if you can get the electrics working properly. Mine has gotten wet and not failed. The top maybe leaking at the rubber boot. Do a simple test...take the top to service position and then pour, maybe a pint or half pint of water in the boot and watch how it drains. If you remove the interior piece at the pillar you will notice a void or body air space. If the water is leaking in and around the boot it will come into the car at this point. That was why mine leaked. Good luck.

I think he has right hand drive in England......

Peter Serbanica is offline   Reply With Quote