Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2011, 09:20 AM   #1

Coolant bleed suggestion

If you are going to be doing anything with your cooling system that will require you to bleed the system, I recommend you buy a vacuum cooling system fill kits (or bleeder kits or whatever they are) from UView.

Bleeding the system is not only a PITA!, but it's also environmentally unfriendly, and expensive. I've blown out over $50 worth of anti-freeze so far with no sign of it getting better. That's 4 bleeds and over 3 gallons of mixed anti-freeze.

Mike_Yi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 05:53 AM   #2

Could not agree more.
I read through the procedure a while back and it made my head spin.
Recently did my water pump, thermostat and coolant flush.
I got a nice vacuum system from amazon for about $100.
The same one that pedro used below! Works great :dance:

http://www.pedrosgarage.com/Site_3/Flush_Coolant_System.html
Old 02-23-2011, 09:15 AM   #3
pk2

I'm going to get flamed but this works fine, cost nothing and, takes about 45 mins.

-turn on heater full (fan not necessary)
-Fill it up, drive it till it starts to get hot (not into the red but close)...bout 1/2 mile
-Let it cool some and c-a-r-e-f-u-l-l-y and s-l-o-w-l-y release the cap and fill it up again...slowly
-Repeat 4 - 6 times and your good to go(carry some coolant in your trunk for a while weeks just in case)

Last time I did this was 4 yrs ago. Runs perfectly cool, no bubles, and hasn't lost a drop.

Regards, PK
Old 02-24-2011, 04:54 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pk2
I'm going to get flamed but this works fine, cost nothing and, takes about 45 mins.

-Fill it up, drive it till it starts to get hot (not into the red but close)...bout 1/2 mile
-Let it cool some and c-a-r-e-f-u-l-l-y and s-l-o-w-l-y release the cap and fill it up again...slowly
-Repeat 4 - 6 times and your good to go(carry some coolant in your trunk for a while weeks just in case)

Last time I did this was 4 yrs ago. Runs perfectly cool, no bubles, and hasn't lost a drop.

Regards, PK

No flames, you are much more patient than I
Old 02-24-2011, 03:24 PM   #5

Anybody ever try a wet/dry vac to apply some vacuum to the filler neck and suck out the air bubbles? Vacuum is vacuum, and almost everyone has a shop vac. A cone shaped adapter might have to be fabricated, but someone tell me why or how it won't work.
I'm planning on doing the new water pump this spring and if I can save a $100 by not having to buy a vacuum filler, I can maybe buy 2 tanks of gas with the money.
(that's a BIG maybe the way gas prices are going)
3X Water Pump, Clear side markers, Crios Mod, Front engine mount, Flywheel, clutch, RMS, AOS, MAF, serpentine belt, power brake vacuum line, battery, 2X CV boots, Fuel filter, Oil filler tube, 3X ignition switch, 90K service, gas cap
Spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 05:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pk2

Regards, PK
+ 1 on getting flamed...

But almost three years ago I installed a center radiator on the CS and someone at the Cayman Club recommended filling the system up with the proper mix, starting the engine and let it idle until got warm (open thermostat), they after letting it cool a bit, then open the cap and refill the system, I did this several times until no more coolant was needed.

Up until now I have not got any issues (knock on wood...)

PS; you Must have the heater valve open all the way...

Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:27 AM   #7

fyi the heater core in the boxster is always 'hot'. other cars use valves in the coolant lines to close flow to the heater core. the boxster does NOT do this; it uses air flaps to direct air toward - or away from - the heater core.

as to the vacuum system? i've emptied & filled my system several times & never had an issue. open the bleed valve & fill the system with coolant. leave the cap off & run the engine to operating temperature. top it off & close the cap. with the bleed valve open, drive around a bit. the bumping & shaking from the road will generally push the air to the top of the system & out the bleed valve. top it off, close the valve, & you're good to go.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 05:54 AM   #8

sorry to revive an old thread

i need to bleed my system

i lost a coolant hose on track yesterday and dumped some

im running water watter and water

i dont have any heater/core stuff in my car. i used a bypass hose in the front(doing a loop)
my car is stripped

anyone can help me with the procedure please

Paseb is offline   Reply With Quote