Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2011, 04:10 AM   #1

Replacing Cluster

My 2002 Boxster S six speed manual is reporting an oil level sensor fault. The display just flashes on startup. Book says it's the sensor but I've already replaced this. Next likely cause is the cluster.
My cluster part number is 986 641 217 01 EOD. Porsche breaker has two units.
986 641 217 02 FHB from a 2003 3.2S 6 speed manual
986 641 217 00 EOD from a 2000 3.2S 6 speed manual

Can anyone advise if these units will be suitable replacements?

many thanks

Alan

monaghana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 12:04 PM   #2

you replaced the oil level sensor? just making sure we're talking about the same thing. it's located beneath the intake manifold and is about a foot long, extending down into the engine. it is very difficult to get to. i doubt if your guage cluster is bad.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 12:49 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by insite
you replaced the oil level sensor? just making sure we're talking about the same thing. it's located beneath the intake manifold and is about a foot long, extending down into the engine. it is very difficult to get to. i doubt if your guage cluster is bad.
Yes it was the oil level sensor. I didn't replace it myself, I had it changed at a recent service. It was an independent Porsche mechanic. After replacing the sensor the oil level display continued to flash as before. The mechanic consulted the local Porsche dealership. They had two Boxsters with same problem. One customer didn't want to pay for replacement cluster(approx $1200 plus labour) but the other did and this fixed fault.

I've seen posts on various forums suggesting bad gas cap, mice chewing wires etc, but petrol cap seems fine and no sign of damage to wiring.

It's a ten minute job to pull out the cluster. Porsche quote three hours. I have one on it's way. My plan is to plug in the replacement cluster and see if it manages to run through the oil level check cycle. If it works I'll put the original cluster back in and check with Dashfixer how to transfer old settings. My car has 41k miles, only fault reported by Porsche diagnostics is

Boxster (986) Instrument cluster Fault memory
9123 Oil level
present

I'll update forum with results.

If anyone has any tips or advice they're most welcome.

Alan
Old 02-09-2011, 08:19 AM   #4

So far so good. Replacement cluster now showing oil level check cycle with countdown and level displayed.

I'll fit everything back together and take it for a drive.

Alan
Old 02-14-2011, 01:36 AM   #5

All seems to be working fine.

Here's a thought. It might be my imagination but the Boxster seems to be running better with the replacement cluster.

I followed the guidance on disconnecting battery -- turn ignition key to second click and disconnect earth, replaced cluster and recoonected earth. This avoids alarm going off. I then switched off ignition and switched on to second click and left for one minute without touching accelerator pedal. Then switched off for a few seconds and started the car.

Manual says this calibrates the throttle.

I wondered if this may have improved things. I've had the baterry disconnected a few times before but had never carried out this routine.

I've included link to online manuals.

http://www.cannell.co.uk/Manuals.htm

regards Alan