Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2011, 11:16 PM   #1

Possible to make a 986S sound like a 996 C4S?

So a friend is looking to purchase a 996 C4S, we went and checked one out today and it was equipped with the PSE (with the button). This thing sounded amazing when we fired it up and little taps on the throttle were spine tingling. I installed a Borla on my 986S soon after I purchased it and it doesn't sound nearly as awesome as the C4S.

The C4S system reminded me of the bark of my old Mark IV R32 with the flappers open.

Any (reasonable) way to achieve the same aural pleasure on my 986S?

Thanks!

tawheed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 04:16 AM   #2

Well, you might want to find out what all the 996 C4S had installed (headers and/or cats plus the PSE?).

There is a PSE option for the Boxster too or you can weld one up yourself - see Pedro's site for details: pedrosgarage.com/Site_3/Make_the_Pedro_Sport_Exhaust.html

The above will get you similar sound or you can go aftermkt w/ someone like Fabspeed (I have their exhaust on my 997S and it sounds great). That being said, only a 3.6L w/ PSE is going to sound like a 3.6L w/ PSE

Good luck
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 04:21 AM   #3

I have seen something for the 987 exhaust which allows you to change the exhaust note to suit your tastes, but nothing for the 986

Link attached

http://www.maxspeed-motorsports.com/987exhaustvalves.html
brian325is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 05:56 AM   #4
mts

My car has the Porsche Sport Exhaust with the "button" on the dash. Here is a video of the sound difference with the bypass not engaged, then engaged:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flqp85fHGqs
2004 550 SE #1081 of 1953 (sold)
1997 911 Targa (sold)
mts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 09:49 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mts
My car has the Porsche Sport Exhaust with the "button" on the dash. Here is a video of the sound difference with the bypass not engaged, then engaged:

That sounds awesome! Did you install that yourself or was it an option? Is that with the cats bypassed as well?

Thanks!
Old 02-13-2011, 10:31 AM   #6
mts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tawheed
That sounds awesome! Did you install that yourself or was it an option? Is that with the cats bypassed as well?

Thanks!
I ordered the sport exhaust from Suncoast Porsche and installed it myself. I actually did the cat bypass pipes first. However, the cat bypass pipes really didn't do much sound wise. The sport exhaust is what woke it up. It sounds fantastic sreaming through a tunnel.
1997 911 Targa (sold)
Old 02-13-2011, 04:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mts

OK, I'm jealous. That sounds incredible.
Highlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 11:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mts
I ordered the sport exhaust from Suncoast Porsche and installed it myself. I actually did the cat bypass pipes first. However, the cat bypass pipes really didn't do much sound wise. The sport exhaust is what woke it up. It sounds fantastic sreaming through a tunnel.
Do you still have the Part #? Does it come as a kit and how difficult was the install?? Can you install it without the switch?? I basically want it to sound like that all the time Most importantly, how expensive is it?

Thanks!
Old 02-14-2011, 06:26 AM   #9

What year is your car? If '02 or less, then the PSE mts is running will not fit your boxster. If 03 or 04, it will.

You do not have to use the button. I elected not to have it installed as I have my PSE set wide open.

Maybe I should make a new video now that i have another camera and can pick up sound better. Also, I now am running completely catless and the sound is wide open intoxicating!!! Don't know how it would stand up to a 996 w/ PSE, but I'll bet it's close.

As far as cost goes, I found my PSE new sitting in a Dentist's garage at the other end of the country two years ago. I bought it of Ebay for around 1400. The Turbowerx headers cost me 800 shipped and the Fabspeed by-pass pipes cost me 500 shipped.

It's not a cheap setup, but again, the sound and power are really fantastic now...Stock boxster emissions are plugged up from the factory....

'01 S - Guards Red / Beige - Surrendered - 04.18.12
jwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 06:57 AM   #10

Garage
Initially, I found the following breathing exercises helped improve the sound of my vehicle, with out the need to change anything or add flappers . However, I would caution anyone from trying this with the top down .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuYY8-hQ2as
Old 02-14-2011, 08:33 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwade
What year is your car? If '02 or less, then the PSE mts is running will not fit your boxster. If 03 or 04, it will.

You do not have to use the button. I elected not to have it installed as I have my PSE set wide open.

Maybe I should make a new video now that i have another camera and can pick up sound better. Also, I now am running completely catless and the sound is wide open intoxicating!!! Don't know how it would stand up to a 996 w/ PSE, but I'll bet it's close.

As far as cost goes, I found my PSE new sitting in a Dentist's garage at the other end of the country two years ago. I bought it of Ebay for around 1400. The Turbowerx headers cost me 800 shipped and the Fabspeed by-pass pipes cost me 500 shipped.

It's not a cheap setup, but again, the sound and power are really fantastic now...Stock boxster emissions are plugged up from the factory....
Mine is an '02, why won't it fit?? I don't even want the electronics, I'd do the same thing as you and have it open all the time..

Thanks!
Old 02-14-2011, 08:37 AM   #12

Because the PSE design changed from our cars to the 2003 and up.

See this link.

http://www.****************************************************.com/category/986exhaust.html

'01 S - Guards Red / Beige - Surrendered - 04.18.12
jwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:15 AM   #13

Garage
If you were to cut open your muffler, this is what you would find. With that in mind, any good quality after-market cat-back exhaust will probably improve* the exhaust sound of your vehicle .

* subject to a individual's definition of improved .

p.s. I forgot to mention that the breathing exercises have a no cost benefit as well.
Attached Images

Old 02-14-2011, 11:45 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwade
Because the PSE design changed from our cars to the 2003 and up.

See this link.

http://www.****************************************************.com/category/986exhaust.html
I understand there was a new version of the PSE but isn't fitment the same for mufflers from 00-04? Or is there some new aspect that wouldn't allow me to mount that muffler with the PSE always on on my car?

Thanks again
Old 02-14-2011, 02:47 PM   #15

Garage
well I just ordered some catless headers. So my 2.7 will be completely catless with just a muffler. Ill post a video and you can decide on how the sound is. Ill update in about a week or two once I get them on.
Lobo1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 01:26 PM   #16
mts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tawheed
I understand there was a new version of the PSE but isn't fitment the same for mufflers from 00-04? Or is there some new aspect that wouldn't allow me to mount that muffler with the PSE always on on my car?

Thanks again

There is a version for your 02 that Suncoast sells. I have not seen it in person so I am not certain it works the same way mine does, but speaking specifically about my 04 PSE, there are some simple valves on the exhaust. When the valves are open, some of the exhaust bypasses the muffler and is released through an open pipe = more volume. When the valve is closed, all the exhaust is directed through the muffler=less volume.

If your goal is to always have the valves open, I would seriously consider doing the "pedro" modification to your current exhaust or a similar used exhaust. The Porsche version is pretty expensive....about $2k new. The Pedro version can be done for about $200 or less depending on your welding skills or access to a local muffler shop to do the modification for you:

http://www.pedrosgarage.com/Site_3/Make_the_Pedro_Sport_Exhaust.html

Good luck.
1997 911 Targa (sold)
Old 03-01-2011, 06:14 PM   #17

I test drove a 996 with the PSE years ago, and to this day I can still hear the sound when I close my eyes. I bought my 04 S with the PSE, and although it sounds good, it does not sound like the 996. I have been on the fence (for several years) about getting the Fabspeed Secondary cat bypass pipes. The youtube videos for this sound pretty nice. It seems that the "quiet" mode (which I never use) with the bypass pipes ends up sounding like the "loud" mode does now. And after the bypass pipes, the "loud" mode has a little extra something that could be the sound I am looking for.
90red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 10:27 PM   #18

Well to update, I sold my Borla last week and have ordered the Fabspeed Race system, it looks like it's going to be ridiculously loud.. Will maybe post a thread with my thoughts when I get it.. Til then all I can do is wait for it to show!!

Old 03-02-2011, 05:49 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger
If you were to cut open your muffler, this is what you would find. With that in mind, any good quality after-market cat-back exhaust will probably improve* the exhaust sound of your vehicle .

* subject to a individual's definition of improved .

p.s. I forgot to mention that the breathing exercises have a no cost benefit as well.

Thanks for that autopsy view of the stock muffler J.D. Always nice to see what insides of things look like especially when considering a change, in this case mufflers. Still considering the unit from Canada.

AKL
'02, Arctic Silver/Graphite Gray, 2.7, TIP, 2nd cat delete, Charlie Chan muffler,de-ambered, Braille Battery, clear tailights, painted bumperettes, clear third brake light, M030 sway bars, F shock tower braces, clear rear deck, '03 side vents. 15mm spacers fore & aft.
Allen K. Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 06:10 AM   #20

FYI, for completeness you might also want to read about the "Crios" mod and the "Pedro Sport Exhaust" on this forum (and on Pedro's site).

CenterIsl is offline   Reply With Quote