Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2011, 11:51 AM   #1

Smoky Mountain Speed Limits

On Monday night I watched the first episode of the real Top Gear. The blokes flew from England to the Colonies to try out a Porsche, a Ferrari, and an AMG Mercedes on what they were told was America's best road. They were somewhere in the Smoky Mountains, but I'm not sure if they were on the Blue Ridge Parkway, the Tail of the Dragon or somewhere else. But, they found it to have a speed limit that ranged from 35 to a high of 45!! Could someone please tell me if these speed limits are ruining every road through the Smokies, or if there are still some with reasonable speed limits instead of revenue enhancing speed limits? Thanks.

schnellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 02:17 PM   #2

Garage
If they were @ tail of the dragon @ deals gap...
318 turns in 11 miles....
That's 28.9 turns per mile

Maybe u don't need to go fast to enjoy this road
Just keep it between the lines...

Anyone who has driven this road
Better speak up & fill us in
Chris

Last edited by chris97boxster; 02-10-2011 at 02:18 PM. Reason: spelling
chris97boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 07:42 PM   #3

Tales of The Dragon's legal speed limit is only 30MPH until you reach the end of it or before it starts (around 45MPH). Although that sounds pretty slow, it's the acceleration during, in and out of each turn that will push you to the side of your seat and backward (good ab work out).

The Blue Ridges Park way is a very long road from NC to VA and I believe parts of TN. It's speed limit range, just like any normal roads, is normaly 30-55.
Attached Images

Last edited by S3adrag0n; 02-10-2011 at 07:58 PM.
S3adrag0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 01:37 AM   #4
JTP

Top Gear never had an issue with speed limits before and they often speed on public roads, they just didn't want to like that road.
JTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:22 PM   #5

Top Gear America will probably drive on that road at some point and redeem the road from what the original Top Gear said
coolbreeze551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:24 PM   #6

I had a bigger issue with them stating that they were informed that the Blue Ridge Parkway is the best road in the US.

I can name quite a few other roads I would rather drive on than that one, and the low speed limit is only part of the reason.

BC.

'98 Silver Boxster, '08 Ducati 848, '89 Honda Hawk GT, '89 Honda Pacific Coast
Bladecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 03:54 AM   #7
Rennzenn

Garage
Exceeding the speed limit on any part of the Blueridge Parkway is a bad idea. Along with being a federal offense, on any part of the road there are many different obstacles creeping along: cyclists(me!), motorhomes (wallowing along or parked sloppily on the roadside), horses, Goldwingers and Harley folks, and Suburbans w/ M&D, the kids, rover, and Grammy.

For the Tail and a couple of other roads in the area, there's a bit of group strategy to blasting down the road: Pick a time when the traffic is low, and send a spotter ahead to scout for Johnny.

Have fun and be safe.
j.fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 12:06 PM   #8
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
Having done the Tail of the Dragon a few times, it's hard to get above 60 for very long on most of it.
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 06:40 PM   #9
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Has anyone driven their Boxster up route 80 from US-70 to the Blue Ridge. I've been up it in my Benz but not the Boxster yet. I think it is about 10 or 12 miles straight up with dozens of very tight turns. Gotta be careful though lots of blind turns.

WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote