986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Thermostat (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27784)

jditom 02-10-2011 08:54 AM

Thermostat

Got a new thermostat from Porsche along with a water pump etc.

The thermstat (TS) was without the housing and as I have been reading I may need a special tool the remove the TS from the housing?
Can anyone verify this?

I can buy an after market one from Pelican that has the housing as a single unit for about the same price. Which I will do if I need a special tool for this simple job :rolleyes:

JFP in PA 02-10-2011 10:09 AM

If the new stat is without a housing, yes, you will need a special tool to swap them around. Only Porsche sells the tool, for a little over $100; but you can make one from a hunk of pipe or tubing.............

jditom 02-10-2011 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFP in PA
If the new stat is without a housing, yes, you will need a special tool to swap them around. Only Porsche sells the tool, for a little over $100; but you can make one from a hunk of pipe or tubing.............

Any write up on DIY?

JFP in PA 02-10-2011 12:24 PM

Doesn't really require one. If you look at the thermostat, it has two "ears" that lock into the housing. Find a chunk of scrap tubing that fits over the stat down to the metal piece that the ears are part of, and is large enough in diameter that it just clears inside the housing where the ears sit when assembled. Cut of file two short "dog" sections into the tube that will align with the ears on the thermostat, removing the rest of the tube so that the "dogs" stick out of the end of the tube. File off any burrs you created, put the tube over the thermostat in the housing, press down on it and turn it until the "dogs" catch and turn the thermostat, releasing it from the housing.......

http://www.lnengineering.com/tstat.JPG

yimmy149 02-10-2011 03:39 PM

Wouldn't it be easier to notch the tube so it locks onto the ears?

jditom 02-10-2011 03:46 PM

Looks easy enough.
Looks like any tool that can fit in there you can push down and pop her out!

Thanks

JFP in PA 02-10-2011 07:23 PM

Exactly, even a $100 tool from Porsche............

JFP in PA 02-10-2011 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yimmy149
Wouldn't it be easier to notch the tube so it locks onto the ears?

That would also do it, but actually takes more effort to make. We fashioned ours after seeing the "real thing", and it works just fine.......

Steve Tinker 02-11-2011 12:14 AM

If you bought the low temp thermostat from LN Engineering (which is a big improvement over standard), you wouldn't have to mess about - it already comes with its own housing.... :p

jmatta 02-11-2011 04:05 AM

I concur with Steve's comment...why replace the factory high temp t-stat, when you can have a low temp for the same money? Reducing your coolant temp is huge toward lowering oil temps and keeping your engine healthy.

thstone 02-11-2011 08:38 AM

Does anyone know why most car manufacturers (not just Porsche) set their factory thermostat's at around 190-200F?

Is it so the moisture gets boiled off more readily? If so, does this mean that you need to change your oil even more frequently with a low temp thermostat or that you need to be sure to get your engine all the way up to full temp fairly often?

JFP in PA 02-11-2011 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thstone
Does anyonw know why most car manufacturers (not just Porsche) set their factory thermostat's at around 190-200F?

Is it so the moisture gets boiled off more readily? If so, does this mean that you need to change your oil even more frequently with a low temp thermostat or that you need to be sure to get your engine all the way up to full temp fairly often?

It is done purely for emissions purposes, to get the engine hot as fast as possible.

And, no, there is no moisture build up in your oil, it still gets more than hot enough to get rid of any moisture. If anything, your oil will be happier and actually live longer running at lower temps................