Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2010, 10:46 PM   #1

Shifter not smooth?

So I've had my 02 Boxster S for a few months now and I must say something doesn't feel right with the shifter..

There is no grinding sounds or anything but sometimes it seems tough finding certain gears, usually third or fourth.

I replaced the transmission fluid a few days ago and it feels a bit smoother but still the same toughness can be felt. I have about 32k on the car and am wondering what the usual culprits are? I've driven a few other Boxsters and don't remember them feeling this way.

As per always, any insight will be appreciated.

Thanks

tawheed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 04:32 AM   #2

Sounds like a bad motor mount to me. Had mine replaced last week along with new drive axles. Shifting is WAY smoother than before! Unfortunately, there is no way to visually inspect the mount without removing it. Mine was completely shot on my "01 S. I gave my old one to Pedro as a rebuildable core. Good luck.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:57 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino
Sounds like a bad motor mount to me. Had mine replaced last week along with new drive axles. Shifting is WAY smoother than before! Unfortunately, there is no way to visually inspect the mount without removing it. Mine was completely shot on my "01 S. I gave my old one to Pedro as a rebuildable core. Good luck.
Sounds like a lot of work? Any DIY for this?
Old 08-09-2010, 07:27 AM   #4

http://pedrosgarage.com/Site_3/Install_Front_Engine_Mount.html
Old 08-09-2010, 03:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino
Unfortunately, there is no way to visually inspect the mount without removing it.
Someone suggested leaving the inspection hatch open while driving and shifting gears. Apparently the amount of engine movement would tell you if the mount needed to be replaced. (I haven't tried it.)
Old 08-09-2010, 04:47 PM   #6

You could also have someone watch the rear exhaust tips. If during a pull away in first gear they point downward significantly it's another indicater that the front motor mount is shot.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:20 PM   #7

Rear motor mount is a big job and should not be done unless you have confidence working on cars. Mine went at about 45K and a buddy's Box went around the same miles. Had same symptoms, car just felt funny. Will feel like a new car when done. First time around took me about 8 hours but second time was half that.

2003 Boxster S
1968 Camaro
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2543196/2003-porsche-boxster
Pete03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete03
Rear motor mount is a big job and should not be done unless you have confidence working on cars. Mine went at about 45K and a buddy's Box went around the same miles. Had same symptoms, car just felt funny. Will feel like a new car when done. First time around took me about 8 hours but second time was half that.
Yikes! I have the part and was going to attempt it this weekend
Old 02-09-2011, 08:53 AM   #9

Usually it's front engine mount that goes.

Replacing Front mount is actually easy.. it took me about 1hr and it was my first time ever I touched a car with a wrench..

It's scary as hell.. but it's not hard. Follow Pedro's instructions and you'll be fine

Sasha

sasha055 is offline   Reply With Quote