Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2011, 07:54 PM   #1

how long should struts last?

So I have now 82k miles on my car and was wondering how long struts will usually last?
Bonus question: Is there a different/better way to test if they're still good other than pushing the car down on one corner and see how often it bounces back? My problem is that my springs are so stiff that the whole test really doesn't work...

2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 11:04 PM   #2

In California, I give them up to 50K in the northeast, on ice heaved, seldom repaired, former chariot trails, I give em about 15K and all the hematuria your body can handle.
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 06:23 AM   #3
Track rat

Garage
Hi Chris,
Here are some more things to look for in determining strut life:
http://articles.cnn.com/2009-04-03/living/aa.shocks.strut.replacement_1_shock-absorbers-aol-autos-struts?_s=PM:LIVING

As I had a chance to sit shotgun with you at Buttonwillow last year I have some observations:
Your car felt pretty tight and planted in most corners, better than mine, but it sits pretty low in front and exhibits noticeable bump-steer due to the change in steering geometry. Eliminating bump steer would lead to smoother tight corners, better corner exit, and faster laps. At 82K your struts are probably not "optimal" and you would benefit by a fresh set along with a few hours with one of your NorCal suspension Gurus to really dial it all in. Just my 2 cents.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:24 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightsandaces
In California, I give them up to 50K in the northeast, on ice heaved, seldom repaired, former chariot trails, I give em about 15K and all the hematuria your body can handle.
I live in New Hampshire and changed the Struts on my 97 at 78K--I don't drive it on the chariot trails in the winter--I've yet to see a Boxster on the road here between Dec. and April even though we have paved many of our roads--
danyl55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:57 AM   #5
Certified Boxster Addict

So far, clear as mud...

Is there an objective method to test the performance of the struts on the car so a comparison can be made between the used strut on the car and a new one? And how much degradation is acceptable?

Everything else on a Porsche is specified within thousands of an inch, why not the suspension perfromance?
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:32 AM   #6
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone
So far, clear as mud...

Is there an objective method to test the performance of the struts on the car so a comparison can be made between the used strut on the car and a new one? And how much degradation is acceptable?

Everything else on a Porsche is specified within thousands of an inch, why not the suspension perfromance?
Yea I know. Here is the problem: To remove your struts and take them to a suspension lab like Penske for analysis would cost as much or more than just replacing with new.

Rule of thumb:
If your struts are bent, leaking, or you notice significant handling or tire wear problems, replace them. Otherwise they are probably still functional.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:03 AM   #7

Just for reference, I installed a RoW M030 kit on my 02 "S" model over this past weekend. I had 52k on the original struts, the last 20k approx were with H&R springs which I'm sure accelerated wear quite a bit as the struts were working at the bottom of the stroke and not valved for that. They were completely blown when I removed them, but they never leaked a drop of fluid. No doubt that there was no nitrogen left in them, or very little. I could literally push each front strut down to the stop with one hand. Car feels so much better now with actual rebound that works. While the H&R springs looked cool and initially tightened the car up, over time they were more of a hassle than anything else. I can actually take potholes and driveways without drama now!
Old 03-18-2011, 01:00 PM   #8
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless
Yea I know. Here is the problem: To remove your struts and take them to a suspension lab like Penske for analysis would cost as much or more than just replacing with new.

Rule of thumb:
If your struts are bent, leaking, or you notice significant handling or tire wear problems, replace them. Otherwise they are probably still functional.
Just an update to this. My brother noticed an occasional "clunk" from the right front on his 99 Box and with 80k on the car decided it was time for PSS9s. WOW! Once the old struts were off we could see that they were really shot. The "clunk" was the only noticeable symptom along with a little extra tire wear up front. No obvious leaks or damage and no tire cupping, but those things were really toast. I am not sure how he kept the car on the road at high speed. Compression dampening was a bit weak and rebound dampening was nearly gone and very uneven over the entire strut travel.

We are going out to the track this weekend and I expect to get spanked by him in his newly suspended car. Time to update myself??

Last edited by Topless; 03-18-2011 at 03:27 PM.
Topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 05:04 PM   #9
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Replaced mine at 54k because I wanted HD front, Sport rear, the ones I took off seem perfect.

WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote