Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2011, 07:28 PM   #1

2001 S Alarm problem?

Hi.
Occasionally when I unlock my 2001 S, then open the door, the indicators and head lights start flashing, (No horn, just a clicking sound from the dash) re-locking then un locking usually fixes it, is there a problem with my alarm, I've only had the car two weeks so this is all new to me.

Thanks.

John.

piperye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:24 AM   #2

Not sure about your problem, but does your horn work? Maybe its suppose to be going off at the same time
Old 01-31-2011, 08:27 AM   #3

No problem

If the doors are locked and you open the door with the key, the alarm will sound within 10 seconds. Key in the ignition quickly is the trick. Around page 22 my owner's manual.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 01:51 PM   #4

Hi, yes, the horn does work.

I never open the door with the key, just the remote.
Old 01-31-2011, 02:35 PM   #5

The alarm's horn ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by piperye
Hi, yes, the horn does work.
... is not the same as the car's horns.
The alarm's horn is to the left of the battery.
You may have the car's horn working properly, but not so the alarm's horn.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro
Old 01-31-2011, 04:29 PM   #6

Thanks Pedro, I didn't know that, I just locked the car by pressing the remote button twice, then I reached in and opened the door from the inside, lights flash but no horn, but if I lock the car (with the remote) while the door is open, the horn does chirp once warning me the door is open, strange?
Old 02-01-2011, 07:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by piperye
Thanks Pedro, I didn't know that, I just locked the car by pressing the remote button twice, then I reached in and opened the door from the inside, lights flash but no horn, but if I lock the car (with the remote) while the door is open, the horn does chirp once warning me the door is open, strange?
Same thing happens to me. I only get a chirp if something is open, doors, convertible top, or center console storage area. So I usually leave me center console storage not completely locked so I get a chirp. I'd be interested in figuring out how to how to enable it without keeping my storage area unlocked.
pyiap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:10 PM   #8
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Do you have an owners manual, there is a very good section on all this. I haven't read it in about a month but I was surprised with the cool features. Pushing the remote lock twice is different then pushing it once. If I remember this correctly and I actually sat in my car and tried it, if you push it once you get two blinks...move in the car an bang the alarm goes off, if you push it twice is will only go off if you open the door, this is so you can leave someone in the car when you go in a store and they can move around, but if someone tries to open the door it will set off the alarm. I don't remember if the alarm siren is suppose to sound in that case. Also if I remember correctly this all behaves differently if the top is down...of course having motion sensing with the top down would make no sense. It is surprising how many little things the car does, guess when someone was paying 53k back in 2000 for one of these they expect this stuff, not that they ever probably used it.
Give the manual a read, take it to the car with you and go through each option.

Last edited by WhipE350; 02-01-2011 at 08:12 PM.
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 03:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipE350
Do you have an owners manual, there is a very good section on all this. I haven't read it in about a month but I was surprised with the cool features. Pushing the remote lock twice is different then pushing it once. If I remember this correctly and I actually sat in my car and tried it, if you push it once you get two blinks...move in the car an bang the alarm goes off, if you push it twice is will only go off if you open the door, this is so you can leave someone in the car when you go in a store and they can move around, but if someone tries to open the door it will set off the alarm. I don't remember if the alarm siren is suppose to sound in that case. Also if I remember correctly this all behaves differently if the top is down...of course having motion sensing with the top down would make no sense. It is surprising how many little things the car does, guess when someone was paying 53k back in 2000 for one of these they expect this stuff, not that they ever probably used it.
Give the manual a read, take it to the car with you and go through each option.
You can buy the red clip from Pedro to fool your car into thinking the top is up when you leave it down in order to have the motion sensor activated while the top is down. Someone reaches in when you have the top down, alarm goes off which I like. Gonna order one soon.