Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2011, 08:20 PM   #1

K&N air filter question

Hi,

I wanted to change my air filter and noticed that I have a K&N air filter on my car, probably previous owner put it in (and he changed MAF)

How do I change/maintain it? I tried to look online and it says I have to lightly oil it..
I couldn't find any more info other that it might brake my MAF.

What's the procedure for oiling it? how often should I do it?

Thanks
Sasha

sasha055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:50 PM   #2

Do a search and you'll find some controversy. I think the general consensus is that, as you've found, you're taking a chance on buggering the MAF when you're oiling the intake filter. I've stuck with the standard filter.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:33 PM   #3
Certified Boxster Addict

I also found a K&N air filter installed when I went to change the air filiter after I bought my used Boxster.

If you want to keep using the K&N, buy the K&N airfilter recharge kit (K&N part number 99-5000). It consists of a cleaner and a spray oil and has full instructions. Its about $12-$14. I got mine at Pelican Parts.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 01-28-2011 at 10:39 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 04:23 AM   #4

If it were me, I'd yank it out, throw it away and install a factory filter.

There are folks that believe these filters add power. They may flow better, but at a cost. They don't filter as well, and if you over oil them they will ruin your MAF sensor.

You have to ask yourself, if these things really added power, why wouldn't Porsche install them as standard? They aren't afraid to use expensive parts (i.e. - PCCB).
Old 01-29-2011, 05:12 AM   #5

Changing it is really easy. Take out the K&N. Throw it in the trash. Buy a Mahle from Suncoast or Pelican Parts and install. There. Done.
schnellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 05:51 AM   #6

I used a K&N on my previous Box for several yrs and never had any MAF problems. The key is to lightly oil it and let it thoroughly dry before reinstalling and driving.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 10:11 AM   #7

I've had an Evo Hi-Flow oiled filter on my Box for the last five years, without issue. Problems arise when owners over-oil...you need to oil lightly and wrap in newspaper to remove excess.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 11:47 AM   #8

I have a K&N, new in box, that I had for my '00 S but never installed. I guess I should put it in the for sale forum.
JackG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 12:09 AM   #9

Garage
I have a K&N in all seven of my vehicles (both early and late models), my HOG and quad. I have never had a single problem. No one will ever convince me that dry media will stop destructive dust particles better than oil impregnated cotton media. Those that have problems don't know how to properly service the air filter.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:03 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasha055
What's the procedure for oiling it? how often should I do it?

Thanks
Sasha
I use the degreaser and oil kit others have referenced. Spray degreaser on it liberally, let it soak, rinse with a liberal amount of water, let dry overnight, reoil lightly and let it sit on paper towels or newspaper several hours or overnight, reinstall. That's it. Typically you want to repeat this procedure every 10-20 thousand miles.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 07:34 AM   #11

Garage
I'm with Adam on the procedures of recharging the K&N. Only difference is it sounds like a two day event. I spray on the solution that breaks down the oil and let it sit for 15-20 minutes. Then rinse it off with a hose and then let it air dry in the wind (1 hour). Spray on a lite coat of oil that's even and allow the cotton to absorb, 15 minutes later spray the the areas you missed. Install and drive like hell.

I'm usually doing something else on the car and this procedure is just scheduled in.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:38 PM   #12
Certified Boxster Addict

To answer further.... I had the K&N in the Boxster when I bought it but replaced it with a stock paper/foam filter because the stock filter was the replacement that I had purchased.

I've since bought the K&N cleaning kit but am unsure if I'll use the K&N or the stock filter until I do a little more research. My gut says stay with the stock filter but I don't have to make a decision until I get close to the next filter change.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 01-31-2011 at 12:43 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:10 PM   #13

I have been back and forth with K&N filters for many years. I've been riding motorcycles for 40 years now and have had them in some of my bikes and cars on and off over the years. I have some on the shelf in the garage right now. I even have a fresh recharge kit on the shelf too. I no longer use the K&N filters. At this time I'm at the point where I replace my car air filters every spring, no matter the mileage, using only good quality pleated paper filters .

I lived in Maryland until 2000. I now live in what I consider a high dust area. We have more dirt roads in Idaho then paved. With the wind we have all year, the air is often dusty. You can see it on your cars or motorcycles (especialy the black ones) hours after you clean them. Sometimes the day after you wash your vehicle, it can be so dusty again, you'll want to wash it again. And I have.

So...that is why I have adopted sticking with the pleated paper filters, which are said to be best for trapping the fine dust. If you live in a low dust area, you may like using the K&N.

BTW I buy my all of my Porsche filters from NAPA. I get he NAPA Gold. The price is right and so are the the parts. Check them out.
Idaho Red Rocket 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:54 AM   #14

I have put over 180,000 miles on my K&N filter. I have never had a problem with my MAF. I use the K&N cleaner and wash the filter let it dry on top of a fan and then spray oil it. This is a Nuespeed P-Flow intake that I have run on my car for over 6 years. If I was running my car in a high dust conditions like driving dirt roads eveyday than I would use the stock airbox with a paper filter changed often. But since I am running on pavement 99% of the time I use the K&N filter.
Caractere kit seam sealed, Caractere rear wing, 1 3/4" drop on coilovers, 235/40/18 Kuhmo XS on 18x8 Millie Miglia Spider II's, H2sport spindles, H&R front Sway bar, O-bar rear torsion, VF Eng. motor mounts, G60 12# flywheel, Nuespeed P-flow intake, Forge DV, Samco IP, Custom K04 turbo and Upsolute chip, 4 bar fpr, TT 2 1/2" SS DP, 2 1/2" custom stainless exhaust no muffler, Peleguin LSD, B&M SS, Momo 14" wheel, R32 steering rack.
yelojkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 05:03 AM   #15

I used K&Ns for a long time, on my cars and motorcycles. I stopped when I had my 944 Turbo. I opened the airbox for a cleaning and noticed fine dust inside the airbox, on the clean side. Not good. I am not going to rest the fate of my engine on a few horsepower of claimed gain, or on my ability to evenly and adequately spray oil onto an air filter. Just my 2 cents.