986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Service Records (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27644)

xamfed 01-27-2011 10:03 AM

Service Records

Is there any way to find out the service history on a car. I am looking at a S at a used car dealer. I pulled the car fax and it has lived in three states, so i can't even begin to guess where it has been serviced.

thstone 01-27-2011 10:12 AM

Unfortunately, there isn't any practical way to find the service records unless they come with the car. Even if you check at local dealerships where the car might have been serviced, many will not release the service records because they are "private" to the person who owned the car at that time. And finding a local indie repair shop who worked on the car is a needle in a haystack. Plus, there is always the chance that the previous owner did his own maintanence and there are no records anywhere.

I just bought my '99 Box in Nov without any service records and here is what I did to mitigate the situation:

(1) Get a PPI from a Porsche dealer. The dealer can tell you everything about the current state of the car. Mine cost $175 and included the readout of any fault codes (be sure to get this even if you have to pay more).

(2) Assume oil was changed regularly but that nothing else was done so you'll need to have the most recent major service done when you buy it (my car had 84K miles so I had the 60K major service done just to be sure and so I had a clean starting point). Then just follow the recommended service internvals from there but change mineral-based oil at 3,000 miles and synthetic at 5,000-7,500 miles.

The Boxster is really easy to work on and you can save a lot of money by doing most of the maintanence yourself. That is what I have been doing. There are lots of online guides with pics to walk you through the steps.

The reality is that most Boxsters are pretty well taken care of and if the car is generally in very good to excellent shape then that is probably indicative of the maintanence as well (even if its not documented).

By the way, I love this car! It puts a big wide grin on my face everyday.

mikefocke 01-27-2011 05:01 PM

Both mine

were bought with each having 2 prior owners. Each was a private sale and each came with some paper records of service. One was pristine, one was covered with road salt.

A PPI is your friend in this situation. Let the man who services a lot of them tell you what its condition is. And if they don't want it PPIed, you run very fast to the next one. There are thousands for sale today.

As the previous poster suggested, I had the next major service done just to establish a point from which I could work forward.

thstone 01-28-2011 08:45 AM

@mikefocke - Actually, I learned to get the previous major service done (and everything else that I did pre-purchase) from your very excellent Buyers Guide! So all of info in my post really came from Mike and I simply followed his good advice and had an excellent buying experience.

SeaNile31 01-28-2011 10:21 AM

From my experience, any Porsche dealer can help you with the service records. Usually they will ask you for the last 6 digits of the VIN and can see if any service was done within the Porsche dealership network. Also, depending on the state, they will provide previous owner info, including name, address, contact info and service history.

I'd get the VIN and call your local Porsche dealer.

xamfed 01-28-2011 11:14 AM

I called one of my local dealerships and they said there was nothing in the system. I guess i will try another one and see if I have better luck. I am going to look at it tomorrow, I will have to ask about a PPI. I have training in writing Condition reports for auctions so I am comfortable looking at the car myself.

Thanks for the help

jmatta 01-28-2011 11:23 AM

I have training in writing Condition reports for auctions so I am comfortable looking at the car myself.

Not to second guess you, but are you trained and experienced to look at a Boxster and determine if any issues exist? Not many, but the best of techs, are in that position. For what maintenance or a misjudgment could cost on these cars, a professional PPI is well worth the dollars spent.

mikefocke 01-28-2011 11:29 AM

But

Do you know what to look for and what measurements are significant in a Boxster? I've bought ~40 cars, made many mistakes, learned some things. But never would I think I knew as much as someone who serviced 4 Boxster a day for the last 20 years. I'm willing to pay for that expertise because I know I don't have it. I know when I had my PPI I was told lots of useful things....things I didn't know...and I had owned a Boxster just before and been active on the forums.

xamfed 01-29-2011 07:00 AM

I understand the second guessing, and I am not trained in Boxsters. I am planning on a PPI, but I am also going to look at this thing top to bottom. it is an 01, and I really want a 2003. the only way I am buying it is if I can get a hell of a deal.

I am also only an hour away from Jake Raby and plan to vist him very soon with the car I buy. :cheers:

xamfed 01-29-2011 12:53 PM

That car is a no go. Way too much paint work for me. :(

Jake Raby 02-07-2011 02:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xamfed
I understand the second guessing, and I am not trained in Boxsters. I am planning on a PPI, but I am also going to look at this thing top to bottom. it is an 01, and I really want a 2003. the only way I am buying it is if I can get a hell of a deal.

I am also only an hour away from Jake Raby and plan to vist him very soon with the car I buy. :cheers:

Get on our schedule now!! Spring is almost filled completely!