986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Just finished IMS bearing replacement! (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27568)

rakowski21 01-20-2011 08:21 PM

Just finished IMS bearing replacement!

Hi everyone , I just finished IMS bearing replacement, changed my clutch , flywheel,
I also replaced air oil separator , water pump, thermostat belt , complete tune up and installed deep sump kit with spin on filter , all the work performed in ma garage :) . It took me about 14 hours from the start to finish :cheers: and the only thing that gave me a hard time was one of the exhaust bolts that I broke .
It was pretty easy ! Trust me guys if I can do it everyone can!!
I would like to thank for all the help that I received from forum members especially
Mike Yi and I will be happy to answer any questions for the future DIY-guys
thanks again

thstone 01-20-2011 09:24 PM

Nice! That sounds like record time!

What was your total cost for parts?

Frodo 01-21-2011 04:11 AM

Agreed. That's an impressive undertaking, and it sounds like it went really well. In addition to parts, did you have
to pick up any specialized tools as well (eg for the IMS work)? May be a stupid question, but do have a lift in your garage?
Also, what year is your car?

mikefocke 01-21-2011 04:24 AM

I'm as much interested

in why you did it and what was the IMS condition when it was obverved in situ and then removed? Any sign of oil in the bearing, what did the inner seal look like, were the races/balls worn?

Did you do the cam deviation test before or after?.

rakowski21 01-21-2011 10:12 AM

the total cost of all the parts was about $3k,
my car is 99 2.5 base (5chain)
i dont have the lift in my garage the car was on the jack stands
for the extra tools i bought kit from ln eng. it comes with everything you need to extract and lock the cam,

rakowski21 01-21-2011 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikefocke
in why you did it and what was the IMS condition when it was obverved in situ and then removed? Any sign of oil in the bearing, what did the inner seal look like, were the races/balls worn?

Did you do the cam deviation test before or after?.

well i bought this car 2 months ago( 79k miles with no service records but very clean inside and out) with no knowledge about ims problem on boxster engines so i decided to do it as a preventive repair(after reading so much about it), also clutch was kinda slipping a bit,
i was surprised how good the bearing was both seals in very good condition no play at all , but i know im gonna have piece of mind that i have done 4 things to make my car last longer :)

rakowski21 01-21-2011 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frodo
Agreed. That's an impressive undertaking, and it sounds like it went really well. In addition to parts, did you have
to pick up any specialized tools as well (eg for the IMS work)? May be a stupid question, but do have a lift in your garage?
Also, what year is your car?

i needed couple of special sockets : one for that little bolt on the bottom driver side of the trans it looks like a liitle star, and for draining and filling the trans fluid,
for the main seal i used pcv pipe that i lent from one of the forum member

Mike_Yi 01-21-2011 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rakowski21
well i bought this car 2 months ago( 79k miles with no service records but very clean inside and out) with no knowledge about ims problem on boxster engines so i decided to do it as a preventive repair(after reading so much about it), also clutch was kinda slipping a bit,
i was surprised how good the bearing was both seals in very good condition no play at all , but know im gonna have piece of mind that i have done 4 things to make my car last longer :)

I replaced the one in the replacement (used) engine that went into my car. It had a surprising amount of play in the bearings. Just for chuckles, I removed the flange from my failed engine. That one was in really good shape. Both engines are Porsche Factory Replacment engine. The one coming out - with the good IMS - had about 65k on the chassis. The one going in had about 97k on the chassis. Of course, since they are both replacment engines, I have no idea how many actual miles were on the engines, but it would be less than the chassis.

blackbox 01-21-2011 04:40 PM

I'm also starting an IMS bearing R&R. I was going thru the 2nd gear grind in my transmission for about 6 months, when new years weekend the shaft on the side shift lever broke inside the transmission.

I chose to source a used low-mileage transmission instead of a total rebuild. This will get me rolling faster and I can still rebuild my original transmission later(hopefully with a Quaife ATB diff).

I new that I had an oil leak, but I hoped it was the RMS (even though it was replaced about 2000 miles ago under warranty). No such luck. After pulling the tranny, there it was. IMS Leaking.

I got my kit from LNE today. Hopefully all goes well. I'm also going replace the inner CV joints while I'm at it.

wanna986 01-21-2011 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackbox
I'm also starting an IMS bearing R&R. I was going thru the 2nd gear grind in my transmission for about 6 months, when new years weekend the shaft on the side shift lever broke inside the transmission.

I chose to source a used low-mileage transmission instead of a total rebuild. This will get me rolling faster and I can still rebuild my original transmission later(hopefully with a Quaife ATB diff).

I new that I had an oil leak, but I hoped it was the RMS (even though it was replaced about 2000 miles ago under warranty). No such luck. After pulling the tranny, there it was. IMS Leaking.

I got my kit from LNE today. Hopefully all goes well. I'm also going replace the inner CV joints while I'm at it.

If your IMS seal is leaking, it's just the seal that needs replacing, no? :confused:

clickman 01-21-2011 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wanna986
If your IMS seal is leaking, it's just the seal that needs replacing, no? :confused:

Where have you been hiding? Welcome to the tale of horror otherwise known as the M96 IMS bearing.

The bearing is supposed to be sealed for life; i.e. grease, not oil. If oil is leaking out of it, the seals have failed, the grease has been washed out and bearing is likely failing.

Search IMS and you'll find WAY more on this than you want...

blackbox 01-22-2011 05:31 AM

Leaking is a sign of wear. This is not like tire or shock wear. This is the catastrophic kind of wear that you may not have a chance to repair if it completely quits on you.

My car has about 78K miles on it. If you're anywhere close to that and haven't replaced yours, you should definitely inspect it (hopefully around clutch R&R time).

My dealer replaced my RMS this summer. When I asked about the IMS bearing, the mechanic said " if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Of course a few months later, it started leaking. I don't recommend Moffit Porsche in Shreveport, La. They wouldn't install a Sachs clutch kit that I already bought because it didn't come in a Porsche box. We all know the OEM clutch kits are made by Sachs.

That said, I know they wouldn't replace the IMS bearing with a LNE retrofit kit.