Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2005, 09:15 AM   #1

Dealership ripping me off??

I just got a 30k quote from WestMont Porsche, IL for $476 (without oil change and spark plugs). I am paying $60 more to realign the Handbrake, $36 to readjust the door to stop it from rattling and $196 to flush and refill brake fluid.

BUT, he told me that the front airdams were broken ($128 charge) an the plastic engine protector thing is cracked ($252).

I really don't trust dealers, so what do you guys think? I told him not to put in those two yet.

Thanks
Khurram

kzaveri82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 09:31 AM   #2

The 30k service sound correct, I paid $980 for my 30k from Hergesheimer Motorsports (independent mech) But they changed out my tranny fluid, and other stuff included at the 60k big service (preventative maintanence).

KRZ
KRZTACO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 09:56 AM   #3

What do you think about the airdams? Anyone heard of that before??
Old 05-24-2005, 10:02 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzaveri82
What do you think about the airdams? Anyone heard of that before??
If they are broken you should be able to tell just by looking... It's just the black inserts in the bumper.
But what is so important about driving faster than anyone else?
Lots of people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well.
When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.
Porschekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 11:28 AM   #5

Spark Plugs and Oil??

By the way, Why are you passing onthe Oil change and Spark plugs. Those are the most important part of the 30k service???

KRZ
Old 05-24-2005, 11:30 AM   #6

Got the oil change done at another dealer (cheaper) and had the spark plugs replaced last year.

BTW, My car has an oil leak . Dealer will have to remove transmission and fix it. It is covered under warranty though .

Thanks
Old 05-24-2005, 11:36 AM   #7

Cool, with that being said, I'd just buy the parts online or through Brandy Porsche in Pennsylvania and put them on yourself.

Go buy a Porsche Excellence Mag, Brandywine has an ad along with some awesome prices
Old 05-24-2005, 11:43 AM   #8

Ref. "airdams" & 30k service.
There are also two little plastic skirts, one in front of each front wheel, that frequently get broken. $126 is PLENTY to replace those, if that is what they are referring to. Parts price is about $21 apiece.
My 30k cost me about $100 more for labor, BUT that included the labor for the new plugs and the oil change.
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 11:45 AM   #9

You could also call the Porsche Exchange in Highland Park, there service is excellent. Talk to Mike Semersky in sales he'll get you set up. 1-847-266-7000
Jeffrey776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 11:45 AM   #10

Air dams?

He could actually be speaking of a number of things, not just the oval plastic pieces with horizontal bands that are inserted into your bumper, allowing air to pass thorugh to the radiators.

There are other things that can be considered "air dams":

1. There are rubberized plastic flap thingies (technical, huh?) that extend downward about two inches from the front wheel well that push air away from the tire. Mine are half torn off and need replacement. They make a flapping sound when I make U Turns and the tires grab them and pull them back, then release them. Freaked me out until I realized this rubbery stuff was making the racket, not my suspension!

2. Under the car, there are two air shields that are kept up with two kinds of clips. These make the car quieter on the road (less wind noise) and make the car faster as it reduces drag. One goes from the front bumper to the firewall, and the other goes from the firewall back to the beginning of the engine compartment.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 04:49 AM   #11

One of the things at the top of Randall's list on the driver's side must have had contact with a rabbit or something...but I'll fix it myself. The rest of the costs don't sound so off.

I'd suggest you go in with an open attitude. Darting eyes and a death grip on your checkbook will only get you rolling eyes and mark you as 'one of them'. Rather, I'd suggest you actually shake hands with the 'wrench' who'll do the work - just don't say somehting like; "Don't scratch it!"

Jim
wetstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 06:14 AM   #12

The rubberized flappy thingies mentioned in my post above can be purchased at the parts counter and replaced yourself with a screwdriver, by the way.

You don't even have to jack up the car to do it, but it sure does make it easier and you don't have to use a right angle screwdriver for the job.

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote