986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Spyder reviewed by a blonde... (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27284)

ekam 12-26-2010 03:26 PM

Spyder reviewed by a blonde...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0apjBooC59I

Watch until the end...

Spinnaker 12-26-2010 04:38 PM

Hmmm....., better look in my frunk. Never know what you might find.

eightsandaces 12-27-2010 03:13 AM

OK so $67,000 Less what maybe $12,000 (on paper for a trade) so for my car and $55,000, I can buy a car that looks strikingly like....oh yeah my car! The weight? From what I've read a 1998 Boxster doesn't weigh a lot more than the spyder it's just clearly underpowered in contrast. Ah but what does that really mean? A few tenths of seconds, maybe even a full second faster? IMO, for what I'd spend for the fork lift upgrade, I could drop 10K in my own car, put it on a similar weight diet and certainly not be disappearing from the Boxster Spyder's rear view mirror... Besides, I'm looking to move to Florida where I'm told AC isn't an option but vital!!!!

Burg Boxster 12-27-2010 04:40 AM

Nice review. Holy cow she is short! Look at how far forward the seat is and still how low slung she is at the 1:00min mark...

Thanks for sharing :)

Soetekouw 12-27-2010 05:20 AM

Good reviewer, and if you ever want that alone time driving, you can always fit her in the trunk.

Not impressed by the car. This is definitely a fair weather driver, or for those who keep their Porsche's as garage queens. I will stick with my Boxster S. The 176 lbs savins in weight, the 10 additional HP, and the (literally) no top, is not worth the extra $10K. I wonder why they didn't stick an Optima battery in there for an additional 10 lbs of weight savings?

Jake D 12-27-2010 05:56 AM

"If I get another speeding ticket, I lose my license."...... I think you're good wearing that low cut pink tank top.

eightsandaces 12-27-2010 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake D
"If I get another speeding ticket, I lose my license."...... I think you're good wearing that low cut pink tank top.

Haha I was thinking the same thing but in the reality world of cruiser cams, I'm sure her negotiating power has been somewhat muted.

JTP 12-27-2010 09:27 AM

A cute petit blonde that speaks car talk. How f'n sexy is that?

Nice review but that music is super annoying.

r9i8c7k 12-27-2010 09:38 AM

She fit in there with room to spare.

Frodo 12-27-2010 10:52 AM

Did she really say, "The faster you go, the more fun it is!"?

Somehow that comment just wouldn't have had the same impact coming from a guy. (I think I may be in love? :D )

schnellman 12-27-2010 11:13 AM

When I saw the title of this string I thought I'd pile on with comments about a stupid blond -- but this chick knows what she's talking about.
To hell with trunk monkey, I want her in my frunk.

husker boxster 12-27-2010 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burg Boxster
Holy cow she is short! Look at how far forward the seat is and still how low slung she is at the 1:00min mark...

She's listed as a whole 5' tall and weighs a C note. But she'd sure fit nice in my Boxster. ;)

Norminhouston 12-27-2010 01:20 PM

She can hide in my frunk anytime!

I think the market is quite limited for that vehicle.

ekam 12-27-2010 05:15 PM

I thought I was the only one to notice she's chewing the steering wheel. I guess those bucket seats are not height adjustable.

Jake D 12-28-2010 08:09 PM

I'd like to stuff her in my trunk..... errr... sounds kinda creepy?

Quickurt 12-29-2010 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eightsandaces
Besides, I'm looking to move to Florida where I'm told AC isn't an option but vital!!!!

You got that right!!
You also MUST have a top that goes up in like 18 seconds. You can leave my house with clear blue skies and by the time you get to the main intersection, 4 miles from my house, it can be raining. I've been caught at least a dozen times not being able to stop or get under something to put the top up before the seats need wiped dry. If it took 5 minutes to put the damned thing up?
I really wish Porsche would've spent the time and money doing a nice retractable hard top instead. Quiet with the top (that can't be cut or destroyed by wildlife) up and still a convertible with it down. My neighbor has a retractable hardtop Bimmer, and it's nice. If it was a Porsche, it would be perfect.

JTP 12-29-2010 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quickurt
I really wish Porsche would've spent the time and money doing a nice retractable hard top instead.

I think Porsche will hold out from making a retractable hardtop for as long as possible on any of their cars. Plus it would be very difficult to have a retractable hardtop on a mid-engined car. Top engine access would be a nightmare.

ekam 12-29-2010 08:48 PM

Hardtop? God no. That's a worse deed than killing baby dolphins.

Perfectlap 12-30-2010 07:01 AM

Well the comments that "all you get for an extra $10K" seem to fail to take into account how expensive some of those upgrades are. For starters those seats are ridonkulusly expensive. The old GT3 seats in my car still set you back about $2K.
These second generation GT3 seats probably go for at least $5K a set in the aftermarket. Those 19" wheels which are lighter than the 18" wheels on an S model are also crazy expensive. I recently tried to replace just one of my old Carrera 18 inchers and the cost for one new factory wheel was $900 ($500 used, per wheel). Slap on 19" rubber and those Boxster Spyder wheels easily set you back $6K. That's your extra $10K on the window sticker right there.
Also, Dropping the equivalent weight of an extra full grown adult passenger is no small feat in a sports car. Additionaly, 320 HP is more power out of the box than 99% of the Porsche Carreras ever built. The standard Carrera didn't cross the 300 HP mark until the 997 was unveiled only five years ago. And again that's 320 HP on a very light car that meets all modern day safety requirements with two trunks to boot. That's pretty darn impressive for a modern day RS. Sure its very expensive but not really anymore expensive than all other over-priced Porsches which are regularly outperformed or equalled on the track by less expensive cars. This Boxster Spyder, which in manual gearbox form was faster around the track than a PDK equipped Cayman S, from lap #1 is only going to get better with more power and less weight. That's sounds exciting to me, although I wish they would have come up with a retractable softop that didn't use a motor, some sort of ball bearing/track system to conserve weight but keep practical like you saw on the old Miata.

p.s.
someone give the blonde a sandwich and a protein shake. :D

Johnny Danger 12-30-2010 07:20 AM

The blonde bird wasn't bad until I saw the tattoo on the arm. Very trailer park trash. :barf: