Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2011, 10:43 PM   #21

So far my costs have been low since everything has been DIY. The only cost that I am not sure of right now is the synchronizer replacement for the tranny but am waiting on a quote.

New rear tires, balance, alignment ($400)
Oil/Filter change ($100)
New clutch ($400)
Misc engine pieces/seals ($60)
Convertible top fix ($70)
Four universal O2 sensors spliced with existing mounts ($120)
Tranny ($???)

This totals to $1150 spent so far not including tranny. Everything else seems fine with the car (knock on wood).

enjoikr3w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 12:37 AM   #22
Livin' a dream!

Garage
Convertible Top Fix

Did you change out the plastic in the rear for $70?

Tips and tricks to this necessary evil??

Been a DIYer since I bought my "Green & Tan" '01!

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoikr3w
So far my costs have been low since everything has been DIY. The only cost that I am not sure of right now is the synchronizer replacement for the tranny but am waiting on a quote.

Oil/Filter change ($100)
New clutch ($400)
Tranny ($???)

This totals to $1150 spent so far not including tranny. Everything else seems fine with the car (knock on wood).
greenandtan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 05:29 AM   #23

Agree as stated.

I would not think twice if you have your tranny out then do the IMS and RMS upgrades.
Old 04-01-2011, 06:07 AM   #24

JDITOM, This is off topic to the thread... but would you be interested in doing a caprison writeup between your Z4 and boxster? I am sure of many of the people on this forum (including myself) considered going the Z4 route before we bought our porsche.
Evan528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 06:52 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan528
JDITOM, This is off topic to the thread... but would you be interested in doing a caprison writeup between your Z4 and boxster? I am sure of many of the people on this forum (including myself) considered going the Z4 route before we bought our porsche.

+1 Looked at several Z4s before going with the Boxster. Coworker just went from Boxster to Z4. His initial comments: Z4 - more luxurious ride, GT style. Boxster - more fun to drive.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:32 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan528
went from a 97 boxster 2.5 to a z3m 3.2 and I wasn't very happy with the z3. the z3m was ok but it DID NOT handle like the boxster. The z3m had much more power vs the 2.5 but it didn't feel as planted in corners or acceleration. The z4 if you get anything thats not 3.0si or the m/// is just a drop top is just as a fast as a regular boxster. Drive both and decide. But once you go PORSCHE and as long as you don't have a nightmare like having to replace the engine, you'll always stay with the brand. The drive and feel is just so much different.. The mid engine layout and the convertible top going down is like no other...
mikes_box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 06:10 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoikr3w

Oil/Filter change ($100)
New clutch ($400)
Tranny ($???)

you did a clutch and didnt do the IMS-RMS while you were in there? Shame on you--

danyl55 is offline   Reply With Quote