986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Do I Need Brake Shims? (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27263)

AlexH 12-24-2010 12:14 PM

Do I Need Brake Shims?

Changing out my brake pads today. Just finished the fronts with Ferodo pads and the pads come with the shims just like the ones I am swapping out. Go to the rears and removed the old pads and they come with the shims just like the fronts. The problem is when I opened the box of the Mintex pads, they don't come with the shimss Just a naked set of pads. :confused: I can't reuse the old shims because they appear tightly glued. What would happen if I don't use the shims? Is it going to make noise or whatever?

Steve Tinker 12-24-2010 01:41 PM

You can remove the stuck on shims - I think one of mine was stuck and I used some fishing line (or maybe dental floss) in a sawing motion behind the shim to seperate it. After cleaning up, I used some silicon to re-attache the plates onto the new pads

ekam 12-24-2010 01:43 PM

Don't need them. Base model don't even come with them from the factory.

AlexH 12-24-2010 02:15 PM

Alright. Just got back from having new shoes mounted and balanced. It's hassle with a 2 seater to have take the tires and wheels with me in another car. I am going to try them wihout the shims. Thanks fellows!

ChrisZang 12-24-2010 08:26 PM

You don't need them

AlexH 12-25-2010 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisZang
You don't need them

Thanks again to all! Installed then without the shims and they work fine. A lot better braking now and much smoother ride with new Potenza 760 Sport.

WhipE350 12-26-2010 08:26 AM

Ya my parts guy said they don't even bother now. Funny thing happened to me though, I put in my new Mintex pads and used some so called 'quality' brake anti-squeal from AdvanceAutoParts that drys to like a rubbery base and they squeaked like all you know what! I was going to just clean the stuff off and use the grease I always use but decide I didn't want to have to do this again. Figuring more surface area was probably better then just the small area from the pistons I took the old shims off the original pads put them in the pistons, loaded it up with anti-squeal grease and they work great...probably over kill and probably poorly used logic but I figured it would work and there were other projects I wanted to work on :). Of course too the shims aren't bounded to the pads either but what the heck.
Combining the new pads with Balo rotors the car stops so well and I just love the feel porsche uses on their brakes...I always hit my MB brakes too hard when switching cars.
Side note though, I got the Mintex cause I figure they are TMD brakes like all the others, but man they put off some nasty dust...I should have not been so cheap and just put Okebono on like I did on the MB and lived the dust free life.