Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2010, 12:19 PM   #1

Another key fob question

Sorry to post another key fob question, but after about an hour of searching through and reading, I still didnt see the problem I'm having.

Key worked fine about a year ago. It gradually started intermittently not working so I would have to manually open the doors. Since then, I replaced the battery. Didnt seem to make much/if any difference.

Now when I press the key, the red light doesnt flash rapidly like it used to, it flashes once every two seconds. Has this ever happened to anyone? Did I just happen to buy a weak battery that is almost dead already or is this some kind of other problem?

Thanks

Old 12-24-2010, 01:33 PM   #2

Mine too

Hi this happen to me exactly the same , key use to work , than not working once in a while , out of a sudden totally not working .
When i press the buttons , it no longer flash rapidly, but instead it flash about once per seconds .
Anyone had any idea whats going on ?

TIA.
brabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 04:54 AM   #3

Changed the battery again, and still have the same problem. after looking at the key closer, it looks like there is a decent amount of corrosion under the plastic battery holder. Not sure if unsoldering the battery holder, cleaning it and putting it back together would help/work, but ill probably give it a try since it looks like its worthless as of right now
Old 12-25-2010, 06:10 AM   #4

Subscribing in case an answer develops. I learned something new reading this thread. I have one working and one non-working remote and I didn't realize they flashed differently. The working one flashes in a pattern really fast while the non-working remote blinks at a slow steady interval. Seems to be just like the OP.

I revived an old thread a few days ago where somebody said they had a method for reviving communication between the car and and a non-working remote but it didn't work for me or the others who replied.
Dale_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 08:04 AM   #5

I don't have any problem with my key fobs, but I have had my car for 4 years and I am sure the battery is geeting low.

Can I open up the fob and replace the battery (CR2032??) without losing any programming code and having to reprogram everything? Thanks.
Soetekouw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 12:12 AM   #6

I've replaced my battery, cr2032, without problem.
Dale K: seems your key fob has a couple of issues. If you can resolve the difference in flash frequency, you might want to try the fix I posted again. It did work for me, albeit some time ago. Both of my fobs flash normally.
jotoole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 08:35 PM   #7

OK,

Here are my symptoms, pretty similar:
Key (or better remote) started to work spotty
Sometimes it worked then it didn't
Then my first key fob stopped working altogether.
Used the 2nd key and this one started to like 6 months later.
The red lights flashes slower or not at all.
Of course I replaced the batteries etc.

At the end I bit the bullet and got one new key fob from Porsche for around $250 and that took care of all the problems. Seems like the key fobs have a limited life span. In my case it was 8 years...
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 05:53 AM   #8

Garage
key fob

new owner here of a 2008 boxter. we also have a 2000 passatt which has a similar key fob. i like the fact that the vw blade folds and is not always extended. anyone ever try a vw key programmed to the P? i need to get another key as car only had one key.

dan

TWODAN is offline   Reply With Quote