986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Engine compartment question (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2719)

wingnuttyz 05-18-2005 10:30 PM

Engine compartment question

I'm looking into buying a boxster and was wondering from you owners if it's inconvenient not having easy access to the engine. I've seen web instructions on how to remove the engine cover and it seems pretty elaborate. It's not like just popping open a hood. From your experience do you ever need to get to the engine? If you need to remove the cover how long does it take? Can most of the servicing be done from underneath the car?

RandallNeighbour 05-19-2005 06:30 AM

The car was designed to be maintained, for the most part, from the under belly.

I took off my top engine covers to peer into it and check the air filter when I first got the car—which everyone should do just to familiarize themselves... but I haven't opened it up since! It takes my mechanic, who does it all the time, less than 5 minutes to open the top half way, pop the cables off the top, lean it up, remove the rear speaker box, remove the carpet, and finally remove the heat shield. No tools are required.

The oil filler, dip stick and coolant filler are all accessable through the rear trunk.

Oil changes are so infrequent (15k on my 1997) that getting under the car isn't even done that often unless you have problems.

Brucelee 05-19-2005 06:34 AM

Ditto. I think the air filter is the major item accessed from the top. The rest is from the bottom up.

Ronzi 05-19-2005 01:27 PM

First time through it will probably take you ten to fifteen minutes to uncover the engine. After that maybe half that. The biggest problem, especially the first time, is unsnapping the cables from their fittings.
I read about one guy that could do it in 3 minutes. He practiced the art of getting at the engine for entering his car in the PCA national concours a few years back.

Thumper 05-19-2005 01:43 PM

Once you get to the top of your engine the first time, you can do it pretty quickly everytime thereafter. It took me 15 - 20 minutes the first time, and now I can do it in less than 5. I've never taken the front panel off (behind the seats) yet, but plan on giving it a try pretty soon as I'm wanting to check the condition of the serpentine belt...and just to stare at it for a while.

:dance: (this guy is cool)

porscheguy05 05-22-2005 06:29 AM

The front compartment comes off very easy, just about 8-10 bolts if I remember correctly, after you remove the carpet padding. I had mine off last summer to change the serpentine belt.