986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   wierd question regarding air pressure in cabin (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27171)

J'sboxie 12-15-2010 07:04 AM

wierd question regarding air pressure in cabin

Is it safe to drive a conver. with the top up and windows down? the reason for my question is that when I drive my p-car that way, something in the back of my mind keeps the thought of the top coming loose or tearing..I don't have a bunch of rattling or anything like that...just that, is this something that I should be concerned about over time?If I am not mistaken, didn't later model p-cars use more "braces" in the top? Was this because of any issues? If anyone can ease my mind about this, i would appreciate it. Thanks all!! :cheers:

Oh and one more thing to ask around about....In my neck of the woods, I have been pulled over 4 times now by police and the first thing I am asked by the office has been the same thing..."Is this YOUR car?" and "is this car stolen?" It came to a head yesterday when a young lady in an Audi slammed on her brakes when officer "friendly" came around a corner and he slapped a u-turn and pulled me over for following too close...I was nowhere near her rear!! We stood on the side of the island causeway and argued between each other for an hour!!!after all, here the police drive like maniacs and break traffic laws all the time( I have video proof) I even recorded this whole stop on my iphone4. (he didnt want me filming, but i told him that it was my right and if he was recording me, i would do the same thing.. He told me to my face that he was "sick" of us p-car drivers acting like the road is "ours". That was the last straw!!!I have had enough!! I informed him that most p-car drivers are law abiding, tax paying citizens and I didn't appreciate the fact that
1) he "assumed" the car was stolen because of my age and my long hair..(ps, I have a medical degree, so I can look how I want to..
2) he "assumed " that ALL p-car drivers drive like we are on the track..
3) that i could afford a ticket because i drive a porsche..(his words)
4) he drives a mustang gt and that puts him in a knowledgable position. ( he told me this and I informed him being a mustang GT owner, does not make him a professional on Porsches...not even close!!!! :barf:

So after ALL that...he took back my 250$ ticket and told me to have a nice day!!!Go figure!!!

yelojkt 12-15-2010 08:18 AM

You will be perfectly fine driving with the top up and the windows down. No worries there. As far as the police in your area go. Maybe this last guy who pulled you over heard about you racing another officer at over 100mph on public roads. ;) But personally I think that he has been smoked by some european cars in his mustang and is letting it get in the way of his job. I would look at it like you win some you lose some. It looks like in the two cases of you and police that I know of you have come out ok.

extanker 12-15-2010 08:24 AM

sounds like too high presurre in the cabin

JTP 12-15-2010 10:07 AM

I believe the later year's soft top frames were modified to accomodate the glass rear window and still allow the top to be put in service position.
Driving with top up and windows down is not a problem. Now if the car was built in Korea, China, or Malaysia, your worries might be valid!

jcb986 12-15-2010 12:50 PM

I am GA boy and we like a little brashness now and then. And since you made a very valid point during the debate and gave him reasonable doubted, plus his dash cam probably would have confirmed your side of the argument, he responded and let you go. Now, here in FL, yep, yes, ok, I understand...just sign here, etc, etc.

extanker 12-15-2010 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcb986
I am GA boy and we like a little brashness now and then. And since you made a very valid point during the debate and gave him reasonable doubted, plus his dash cam probably would have confirmed your side of the argument, he responded and let you go. Now, here in FL, yep, yes, ok, I understand...just sign here, etc, etc.

in NJ he would be released on bail or the ER by now

Mike_Yi 12-15-2010 04:05 PM

However, never, EVER drive with the top down and the windows up . . . .

. . . . unless you don't mind looking like a dork.

J'sboxie 12-16-2010 06:32 AM

Thanks for the advice guys!!!!As far as the ER is concerned in trenton,nj...I stayed up in that area a few years ago, and yes, they are alittle more...how shall I say this???.....stern....with drivers. I have lived all around the country, so I am not afraid of LE, I just want to be treated fairly, that's all. :ah:

nah...I wanted to give him hell......Go Dawgs!!!!! sorry...could not help it!!!

oh..and I have seen a gentleman two days ago in his Audi tt convo. top down and flying....it was 24 degrees!~!!!