Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2010, 09:38 AM   #1

iPhone 3G/iPod Hookup

I would like to hook up my iPhone to the cdr-220 stock audio system. Being able to use the phone through the speakres would be a bonus. I know there are different hacks out there, but each one is different since everybody desires something a tad different. Me? I'm just wanting to use my iPod (preferably through aux) to play good quality audio. I used one of those cassette things but it sounds awful. What do I need to do this? Thanks. I'm thinking all I need is a 3.5 jack where one end hooks into the system and the other hooks into the phone and possibly a holder to go with it. Is this about right or are there special plugs I need for my boxster?

Viper5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 01:00 PM   #2

Iwire does sell adapters for the CDR-220 head unit.

http://www.iwirep.com/products/iwirep-220-ipod-bundle

Honestly, you'd be much better off upgrading the head unit though. I'm finishing up installing the Kenwood DNX-7140 right now.
Tranlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 01:33 PM   #3

I ended up trying to do something that I read. It can be foundhere

Off the bat, I am not new to electronics so I don't think I was going in even close to over my head, but as of right now, my cdr 220 is not powering on.

These are the steps I took prior to me realizing it wasn't working.

-Removed bracket from changer.
-Removed power cord and confirmed that aux input appears instead of cd.
-Spliced the wire so I can see inside insulator to tell what I am dealing with. Saw 5 or 6 wires bundles within a copper braid.
-I saw multiple wires so I used my multimeter to test which one is the '+.' I went through all of them and still couldn't find a positive read.
-Plugged power cord back in (didn't hear the changer boot up)

Went inside to turn on power and now unit doesn't power on either.

What have I done? I don't understand this since I didn't even mess with any power cords other than for the cd changer. I don't smell smoke so I don't think anything fried. Even when I unplugged the power for the changer in the beginning the head unit at least still powerd on. Now it's not even doing that. I am very confused and I have a sick feeling right now. Please help.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:44 PM   #4

I would check your fuses first, you might have shorted something while testing for voltage.

'01 Boxster S, 51k miles
'05 Mazda 6 Grand Touring Wagon
yimmy149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 02:13 PM   #5

I just came back from testing them when I saw your post. The radio fuse is good. I even replaced it with my spare and same thing. I also wanted to mention that when the car is locked, the radio light for the alarm does not flash anymore. It's gotta be something simple.

Last edited by Viper5; 05-25-2010 at 02:23 PM.
Old 05-25-2010, 03:39 PM   #6

I was just thinking...isn't there a fuse in the back of the radio where I need the becker keys to access?
Old 05-26-2010, 01:24 AM   #7

Location: Seattle - It's not Hell, but you can see it from here!
probably.

i just put in a Kenwood KVT-696 (built-in iPod support) + Kenwood iPod cable.
ran the cable back thru the center console and up thru the bottom of the stow bin. don't even have to look at the ipod.

2001 Porsche Boxster S
1988 Porsche 928 S4
Dave928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 10:26 AM   #8

Looks like a sweet system. Currently, I can't throw money at something like that but I would I could. My brother has a panasonic one like that. My fuse in the back of my radio turned out to be out. Replaced it with a normal 10A fuse.

Last edited by Viper5; 05-31-2010 at 09:43 PM.
Old 10-19-2010, 03:12 AM   #9

Hello guys,
new to this forum and got my 2002 boxster for a week now, love it!!

Anyway, i've been looking around for ways to plug my iphone 3gs to the CDR-220, and found Icarkit, anybody knows or have review on them?
The cable I'm looling at:
http://www.icarkits.com/cars/Porsche_Boxster_2002/CBLIAUX5V

bu I also see on Becker website they seem to have a cable now for iphone, maybe it's better?
danyfra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 05:40 AM   #10

Seriously.. with a CDR-220, this is all you need:

http://cgi.ebay.com/PORSCHE-RCA-AUX-INPUT-iPOD-MP3-BECKER-XM-SIRIUS-/200446847336?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eab902968

then get a small adapter rca to 3.5mm and your in buziness to plug your Iphone/Ipod..

Easy Setup, no slycing anything.. only downside is that you can't use your CD-changer anymore.. but who care of a cd changer when you have way more music on your ipod?
vipola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 08:41 AM   #11

Sorry I should have say I'd like it to charge my phone as well, so the simple rca connection is not enough.
Today I use the griffin fm transmitter, but it's not perfect quality and can't use gps function with it (some interference and the location is completly off).
I'm also looking at a way to fix it more into my field of vision, I do have the cup holders under the air vent, I'm gonna look if I can do something here as it seems to be a perfect spot.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:12 AM   #12

You can have that Cable to provide the audio to your Radio, and just get a simple 3$ iphone charger for car on ebay.. problem solved.. You can charge your phone and listen to music..

Or maybe some cable add some extra functionality like this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200532817863&viewitem=&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26its%3DI%26otn%3D2&category=169337

Google (and ebay) is your friend..
vipola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 11:39 AM   #13

Thanks
looks a lot like the cable Becker has on their website (top picture).
http://www.beckerautosound.com/Porsche/aux_input_CR_CDR%20220.html
Probably just what I need
Old 10-20-2010, 08:15 AM   #14

Anybody tried this cup holder/iphone mount from Arkon?
http://www.arkon.com/manuals/IPM123.pdf

Wonder if it'll fit in the boxster cup holder, as they mention it may not work for pop out holders...
Old 10-20-2010, 03:28 PM   #15

I HIGHLY doubt the shallow cup holder could provide enough counterforce for that long pole and the first little bump your phone will fall right out of the holder. I routed my cable from behind the stereo down the console and between the passenger seat and the hump. just let it lay there while plugged in, though I use an iPod, and keep my phone in the cubby and use a bluetooth speaker clipped to the visor. been very happy with that setup - I hate seeing wires and iGadgets just sitting out here and there.
Old 10-23-2010, 03:39 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by danyfra
Thanks
looks a lot like the cable Becker has on their website (top picture).
http://www.beckerautosound.com/Porsche/aux_input_CR_CDR%20220.html
Probably just what I need
For info, the cable is $110+$12shipping

You may be right Tony about the cup holder mount.
I made a long trip Thursday (300miles, top down on south virginia roads near blue ridge parkway ), and put my iphone directly in the cup holder. It's definitely the place for it to be I think, just have to find the best way for it...
Old 10-23-2010, 08:14 AM   #17

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by danyfra
For info, the cable is $110+$12shipping

You may be right Tony about the cup holder mount.
I made a long trip Thursday (300miles, top down on south virginia roads near blue ridge parkway ), and put my iphone directly in the cup holder. It's definitely the place for it to be I think, just have to find the best way for it...
I do that also with my blackberry. however, if the heat is on it gets pretty hot!
Lobo1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 04:33 AM   #18

found solution that will play and charge my iphone

The BLAU/8-pod connected to my CDR-220 radio worked well until i tried my new iPhone. Needless to day it did not work.
I did some searching and ended up purchasing this cable:
http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=1467
along with the 5V docking cable
http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=1401

My new iPhone now charges and plays on the stereo and mutes the stereo when a call comes in.
My wife also use it to play and her ipod photo.

Good luck!

Last edited by quietcoolone; 12-15-2010 at 04:35 AM.
quietcoolone is offline   Reply With Quote