986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Spyder shifter? (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27142)

Quickurt 12-11-2010 06:04 PM

Spyder shifter?

Brumos is having a drawing for a weekend Porsche sport drive event at Barber Motorsports Park.
It's a real sacrifice to get in the drawing.........you have to test drive a new Porsche!!
Anyway, I ended up doing a test drive in one of their Boxster Spyders, and to be honest, I was not that impressed over my 2006 Boxster S.

The one point I was EXTREMEMLY impressed with was the shifter.

Does anyone know what shifter set-up the Spyder uses?
It is almost as short throw forward and back as my Schnell short shifter, with shorter side to side throw and as smooth as the stock 987 unit was.

I MUST HAVE ONE!!!!

The direct injection 320 HP 3.4 engine didn't feel much stronger than my 3.2, even though on paper it looks like it should be. The lowered chassis and slightly lower center of gravity was somewhat noticable, but the saleman freaked out when I didn't slow down for every little bump in the road, so I doubt I'd find the lowering was worth it for the way I use my Box.
All in all, I didn't find myself wishing I had made a deal (besides getting the chance for that Sport Driving School!!!) as I drove my good "old" 06 S away from the dealer.

Deserion 12-11-2010 06:07 PM

How long is that promotion going on? I need to stop in and enter, then. Thanks for the heads-up.

Quickurt 12-11-2010 06:13 PM

Sorry, today was the last day........... :-)

No, it goes on until 12/31/10

Tom Levander was the salesman I used and he was a good sport. The salesman who gets the most test drive sign-ups also wins the same event, so I told him I'd put in a good word for him with my buds.

eightsandaces 12-12-2010 02:57 AM

In addition to everything you said, I'm always thinking about the monetary delta to acquire the new vehicle, is it really sixty thousand dollars better than my car? I must be getting old because I like the almost now classic look of the 986 and think about how that money could be used for better purpose. Just my two cents but until my car is mechanically tired or in need of repairs with a sum greater than the car value, I'm going to keep it.

jmatta 12-12-2010 04:55 AM

They are nice (have a friend who recently ordered one), but that's a year of schooling for my two kids...guess I don't get anything until they're done with their "edumaction".

AndyA6 12-12-2010 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmatta
They are nice (have a friend who recently ordered one), but that's a year of schooling for my two kids...guess I don't get anything until they're done with their "edumaction".

Amen to above!

I'd like a Spyder but with that kind of extra money one can do a lot of things...

Quickurt 12-12-2010 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmatta

I guess I was saying the same thing in a round about way.
I could lower my 06, if I didn't mind it hitting the under nose more than it already does, for about 12oo bucks. I already have lighter, wider and stronger wheels.
The Spyder top just really sucks for an area of the country where I get caught not being able to stop and put up the power top fast enough.
Since the eco melt down and what has happened to the resale/trade value of ALL our cars, there's no way it (or ANY new Boxster/Cayman) is worth my 06 S and 40 grand.

BUt in any case, back to the main question of the thread:

What is that GREAT shifter????

I guess maybe it's the GT3 set-up?

I was also sad to hear my old friend Buddy Kennedy has retired as parts manager at Brumos. He was already parts manager when I crewed on the race team, in 1974! Why leave so soon?? :-) He and his expertise will be missed.

AndyA6 12-12-2010 08:11 AM

Only way to find out is to buy a Spyder shifter!

Maybe the next "must-have-mod"?

Quickurt 12-12-2010 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyA6
Only way to find out is to buy a Spyder shifter!

Maybe the next "must-have-mod"?

I'm pretty sure its a 9X7 something, GT3, GT2. 997 short shift. Porsche makes all that stuff interchangeable in model runs and sometimes retrofittable like 9X7 shifters into 9X6 cars.

Quickurt 12-14-2010 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronoroa.zoro8
What is the source of its speed range with solid aluminium bushings shifter is nothing short of amazing when you realize how much these jacks, change the direction of the Spyder. By replacing the factory rubber bushings with solid aluminium units, the speed footage banish Source spongy, without direction from the factory to handle. The shifter is showing the urgency, mechanics intended.

I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to say. Do they have aluminum bushings throughout the shift linkage and mechanisms or just in the interior mounted shift mechanism? The stock interior unit in my 987 S had hard poly bushings and were replaced with hard poly bushings inside adjustable aluminum housings with the Schnell unit.
The Schnell unit has a definite feel to it, in that there is a distinct shift from current gear into nuetral before the distinct shift to the next gear. The Spyder unit, while about the same throw length (and one would expect effort input level) had no "clunkyness" to it. It was smooth as silk.

timothy 12-14-2010 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quickurt
I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to say

I'm pretty sure that's just a chat bot causing trouble

Quickurt 12-14-2010 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timothy
I'm pretty sure that's just a chat bot causing trouble

I guess I never think about people with nothing else to do. Now I kinda picture some muscle-less nerd sitting in Mommy's basement in his jammies!

AndyA6 12-14-2010 11:12 AM

es, this is very annoying and stupid, what purpose does this serve???

Mark_T 12-14-2010 12:07 PM

I think it's kinda funny. A bunch of words strung together that almost makes sense but not quite.

Like those engrish assembly instructions you get with stuff made in Asia.

eightsandaces 12-15-2010 02:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark_T
I think it's kinda funny. A bunch of words strung together that almost makes sense but not quite.

Hey I dated that girl in the eighties!

When she inquired about the meaning, I remember telling her "nomads" were what they called calm Italians. One time she asked what an Anaconda was, every guy should field that question, hope for it on your bucket list. Yeah she never won on Jeopardy but oofa what a wolverine in the rack.

Quickurt 12-15-2010 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark_T

We had Japanese CNC machines for years. We called it Janglish.
Most of the time the correct words were there, if mis-spelled, but they almost always used Japanese verb conjugation and word order in the sentences.

yelojkt 12-15-2010 09:54 AM

I wonder if it is a B&M. They advertise "even Porsche chooses us".

Quickurt 12-16-2010 04:44 PM

I've been trying to make it by my dealer parts dept., all week, but haven't been able to get away.
And I thought owning my own business would give me more time!
What a fool......... :D

eightsandaces 12-17-2010 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quickurt
I've been trying to make it by my dealer parts dept., all week, but haven't been able to get away.
And I thought owning my own business would give me more time!
What a fool......... :D

I own my own business too, which would be great except my boss is a real A@@hole.

Quickurt 12-20-2010 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eightsandaces
I own my own business too, which would be great except my boss is a real A@@hole.

LOL 8's!!

Good one! :cheers: