Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2010, 10:09 AM   #1

Help Request - Planning Winter Projects & need to be pointed in the right direction

Hi all,

I took ownership of my boxster ~56k miles and it now has 59k on it and is going to be garaged until March 1st with a few start-ups and gentle drives around the neighborhood to keep it in good running condition.

I'm also going to be doing a number of projects. Here's where I need pointers:

1. I swear I've seen a DIY and tips on where to purchase shifter bushings, but now I've spent 20 minutes and I can't find them for sale nor a DIY...any tips?

2. After reviewing the options it seems like Pedro's Garage's Enthusiast Motor Mount is a great price (w/ core) and a good unit. I'm simply looking for stock but more durable characteristics. Any thoughts on this?

Other than that, here's what I'll be doing as well my links to parts and prices:

1. Spark plugs - NGK, $7.25 each,
2. Fuel Filter, Mahle $30.75
3. Serp Belt - Contitech, $30.50
4. Air Filter - Mahle, $21.50
5. Oil Change - M1 0w40 (9 quarts) +Hengst Oil Filter ($11.50 at Pelican) + new oil drain plug crush washer + oil filter gasket
6. Brake and clutch fluid bleed - Basic DOT3 fluid, or maybe SuperBlue if I'm feeling frisky.

Any and all additional tips and tricks are appreciated, or things to check in on. I've already cleaned out the radiators.

Thanks all!

Joe

06 Civic SI - 114k miles, D.D., unbelievably reliable and fun to beat on everyday.

08 Legacy GT 5spd - 74k miles.
JoeFromPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 05:15 AM   #2

Re-posting the questions that are holding me up from ordering:

1. I swear I've seen a DIY and tips on where to purchase shifter bushings, but now I've spent 20 minutes and I can't find them for sale nor a DIY...any tips?

2. After reviewing the options it seems like Pedro's Garage's Enthusiast Motor Mount is a great price (w/ core) and a good unit. I'm simply looking for stock but more durable characteristics. Any thoughts on this?

All help welcome.

06 Civic SI - 114k miles, D.D., unbelievably reliable and fun to beat on everyday.

Old 12-08-2010, 07:28 AM   #3

Apparently the stock 987 motor mount is much more durable than the original 986 part.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:50 AM   #4

Don't think our cars use DOT3... DOT4 minimum.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 08:47 AM   #5

Ekam - Thanks. I'll use DOT4. They are essentially the same thing, though DOT4 has higher wet and dry boiling points AFAIK in all cases. The propensity to absorb water though is greater in DOT4. No matter.

Clickman - I didn't know the 987 motor mount would fit on a 99 986....I'll check that out and see if I can find that part. I didn't see any DIYs on such a modification either, but I wasn't looking for one....hmmm

Old 12-08-2010, 09:46 AM   #6

I used to use Ford DOT3 (on another car) which has one of the higher dry boiling points for DOT3 fluids. You have to flush it pretty often just like DOT4 stuff.

Last edited by ekam; 12-08-2010 at 09:55 AM.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 10:57 AM   #7

Thanks all. I ordered the parts I named + a 987 motor mount from Pelican Parts. I skipped the shifter bushings for now - we'll see how much my shifter issues are related to the motor mount alone.

I also just ordered some Ate Super Blue - its only a few bucks and now I don't need to make a seperate trip.

Going to be a fun christmas time garage project!

Joe

Old 12-08-2010, 01:49 PM   #8

Don't forget to replace the cabin filter and clean out the drain holes front and back.......
To get to the clutch bleed nipple (its a mongrel to get at) you will probably find it easier to remove the aluminium plate mounted under the engine / transmission. If you have to remove that, you may as well change out the gearbox fluid too.
Old 12-08-2010, 03:28 PM   #9

Interesting that Pelican has an alternate supplier motor mount with essentially the same part number for $35 vs $135 for the Porsche part. The alternate is made by someone called Lemfoerder. I've asked them for clarification.

Did you also buy the two cheap rubber spacers that go on each side of the mount when assembling into the yoke? 986 375 255 01 I'd be concerned about the originals being worn out.

Someone who did the job also recommended getting a couple of hose support clips for when you're "moving things around" underneath. 996 106 425 02

Two DIYs: one on Pedro's site, and another on the Pelican site.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:48 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by clickman
Interesting that Pelican has an alternate supplier motor mount with essentially the same part number for $35 vs $135 for the Porsche part. The alternate is made by someone called Lemfoerder. I've asked them for clarification.

Did you also buy the two cheap rubber spacers that go on each side of the mount when assembling into the yoke? 986 375 255 01 I'd be concerned about the originals being worn out.

Someone who did the job also recommended getting a couple of hose support clips for when you're "moving things around" underneath. 996 106 425 02

Two DIYs: one on Pedro's site, and another on the Pelican site.
Because the Lemfoerder was new and SOOO much less expensive than every other variant, and I could find no info on it, I passed despite the tempting price.

I did not buy the rubber spacers - didn't realize I might need them. The P-car will be off the road at the time I pull the original mount, so if I find it desirous to get new ones I'll order them then....thanks for bringing this to my attention!

Old 12-09-2010, 08:57 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Tinker
Don't forget to replace the cabin filter and clean out the drain holes front and back.......
To get to the clutch bleed nipple (its a mongrel to get at) you will probably find it easier to remove the aluminium plate mounted under the engine / transmission. If you have to remove that, you may as well change out the gearbox fluid too.
Thanks!

Cabin filter looks great and relatively new - I'm guessing it was replaced not too long ago, so I'm going to skip it at this point. I just checked it when I was replacing the battery about 2-3 weeks ago.

Not sure where the drain holes are located, but I can tell you that one of the last times I drove the car it poured and my driver's side seatbelt was soaked through at the part that hits the drivers shoulder when strapped in....I'm guessing I've got water coming in somewhere!

Re: the gearbox fluid. I would love to replace it - Any recommendations on fluid and procurement?

Old 12-09-2010, 12:32 PM   #12

If you look at the much smaller shipping weight of the Lemfoerder, I have to think it's the insert only, like the WEVO unit.

I haven't gotten a response from Pelican
Old 12-09-2010, 01:20 PM   #13

I'd bet the front radiators have more than a cup of sucked in debris. Removal of the front bumper cover is a good free winter maintenance item. Once you get good enough, you can easily do it alone, first time a helper is a good idea.
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 02:26 PM   #14

Quote:
If you look at the much smaller shipping weight of the Lemfoerder, I have to think it's the insert only, like the WEVO unit.

I haven't gotten a response from Pelican
I was right! For a change.

Here's the response from Pelican:

Porsche unit is supplied complete with the aluminum bracket.

Lemfoerder unit is supplied without the aluminum bracket. It's a
replacement bushing which must be pressed into the original
bracket before installation.
Old 12-09-2010, 04:17 PM   #15

After watching the lead tech at a local dealer use a huge press on my old mount, I'd be skeptical of getting an insert pressed back in. First to contend with is rotational angle of the insert relative to the bracket. My second concern is unwanted stress on the rubber bushing degrading its lifespan. But I'm no machinist so perhaps the concerns are unwarranted.

Quote:
I was right! For a change.

Here's the response from Pelican:

Porsche unit is supplied complete with the aluminum bracket.

Lemfoerder unit is supplied without the aluminum bracket. It's a
replacement bushing which must be pressed into the original
bracket before installation.
Old 12-09-2010, 05:39 PM   #16

Do you have a link to the Lemforder part? I couldn't find it on Pelican.
Old 12-09-2010, 05:45 PM   #17

Found it. Need to search by part number, as it is not listed when you browse for a Boxster engine mount.

987-375-023-05-M69
Old 12-09-2010, 07:39 PM   #18

Front Rad was cleaned out 2 months ago - was actually minimal debris. I had my front bumper replaced and the shop did it gratis by hand and air-gun.

Old 12-09-2010, 10:08 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by demick
Found it. Need to search by part number, as it is not listed when you browse for a Boxster engine mount.

987-375-023-05-M69
When you find the OEM engine mount and click on More Info, in the lower left is a space for "Other Brands Available". Interesting that it still uses a Porsche part number almost identical to the "standard" part.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:55 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFromPA
Front Rad was cleaned out 2 months ago - was actually minimal debris. I had my front bumper replaced and the shop did it gratis by hand and air-gun.

I'm surprised. The sub assembly under the bumper cover, the shroud that covers the actual radiator in my car had significant debris, maybe the PO liked to run through leave strewn roads in fall, who knows...

eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote