Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2010, 06:24 PM   #1

wind deflector

hey guys,

i was moving some large items today and had to put top down in order to transport the large box. however, in doing so, when i was driving the wind deflector popped off and flew away somewhere. didn't notice until i got home.

anyhow, my question is... what are your thoughts regarding the wind deflectors? are they really necessary? do they really work?

it's too cold to drive with top down now, but was wondering if i should buy a replacement or just let it go.

thanks.

Old 12-05-2010, 06:35 PM   #2
JTP

I took mine off, whether top up or down. I don't think it makes that much of a difference in wind and the glare off that plexiglass is really annoying.
JTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 06:37 PM   #3

were you able to remove the mounting hardware too? or did you just leave them?
Old 12-05-2010, 06:45 PM   #4
JTP

I just left the mounts on the roll bar. The look doesn't bother me, and if my wife complains about the wind I can put it back up in two seconds.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:13 PM   #5

Strange, I think it makes a HUGE difference
I remember I drove to the track once and had already the B-K camera mount installed, so had to go w/o the windscreen.
The wind drove me so crazy that I pulled over and put the top up (in 85 ~ 90 degree weather)
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 02:48 AM   #6

The wind deflector does help alot. When I got my car, the DS was missing and I can tell the difference once I got one. I bought mine from Oklahoma Imports. I also used black wire zip ties to prevent mine from flying off down the highway.
Old 12-06-2010, 04:13 AM   #7
JTP

I suppose the deflector is more effective when the side windows are rolled up which I rarely do when the top is down.
Old 12-06-2010, 04:13 AM   #8

are you talking about the center wind stop, or the mesh inserts that sit behind the seats?

i don't really notice much with the mesh inserts, but i do notice a difference with the center wind stop. the thing rattles though, which is annoying...
Old 12-06-2010, 05:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTP
I suppose the deflector is more effective when the side windows are rolled up which I rarely do when the top is down.
I think you're right, but they do make a noticeable difference with the windows down too. I always have the windows down with the top down, but when the wife comes along, it's windows up and deflector in. Kinda defeats the whole purpose of driving with the top down.
Old 12-08-2010, 06:24 AM   #10

I think a Boxster is more aerodynamic without the screen in place, FWIW.

I drove my car in a sudden rainstorm with the top down at 70mph, and NO rain at
all in the car until I stopped to put up the top.

It must have been quite the sight, seeing the car driving with the top down and the
windshield wipers going!
Beelzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 03:47 PM   #11

i used a calking gun and put a bead of clear silicone to lock the windscreen in place. no more rattles.
silverboxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 05:08 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beelzy
I think a Boxster is more aerodynamic without the screen in place, FWIW.

I drove my car in a sudden rainstorm with the top down at 70mph, and NO rain at
all in the car until I stopped to put up the top.

It must have been quite the sight, seeing the car driving with the top down and the
windshield wipers going!
Don't be so sure...I've had the same thunderstorm experience, driving with the wind deflector in place. The only
reason I bothered to put the top up was that I did get just a little dripping from the top corners (top of the A-pillar)
where rain that hit the windshield was pushed up to the top and then, irritatingly, would drip into the car.
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 02:33 PM   #13

Tony (and anyone else), you can eliminate the rattling of the center windscreen by replacing the clips on the windscreen part. They're only a couple of bucks through a discount dealer such as Sunset Imports.

I bought a couple of sets so I'd have some backups when they broke and started rattling again.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 07:36 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
Tony (and anyone else), you can eliminate the rattling of the center windscreen by replacing the clips on the windscreen part. They're only a couple of bucks through a discount dealer such as Sunset Imports.

I bought a couple of sets so I'd have some backups when they broke and started rattling again.
after reading this thread, i examined the clips and the built-in spring portion of the clip seems "loose". there's a significant play in it.
is this normal for a new clip or is it a sign that I need to replace them?
thanks in advance
sb01box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 09:20 AM   #15

The clips were secure in my 987, but I put a couple of layers of electrical tape along both sides to make them more secure in the lower mounts. That is where mine rattled.
I actually prefer to drive with the center out, but it was not that way before I bought and installed Jay Senoffs roll bar fill panels. I think they do more than the center panel, or at least they drastically change the wind patterns. It seems with the fill panels, the air goes thru the center of the two roll bars, but doesn't have the turbulence that buffets your head around and annoys you with the wind noise in your ears.
Again, I have a 987, and everything is different with the two cars.
Old 12-15-2010, 11:35 AM   #16

Sometimes replacing the clips still leaves some rattling.

I took a couple of inches of velcro (the soft side) and cut it lengthwise so it was thin and put this on the bottom of the windscreen on the left and right of the center notch.

This effectively pushed the entire deflector up and made it fit more securely at the clip holding points. Give it a try.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 04:46 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
Sometimes replacing the clips still leaves some rattling.

I took a couple of inches of velcro (the soft side) and cut it lengthwise so it was thin and put this on the bottom of the windscreen on the left and right of the center notch.

This effectively pushed the entire deflector up and made it fit more securely at the clip holding points. Give it a try.
Another great idea by our good neighbor!!

The velco is thick, soft and non-sticky, even when aged.
Old 05-18-2014, 07:42 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickurt View Post
Another great idea by our good neighbor!!

The velco is thick, soft and non-sticky, even when aged.
I bought a 2005 987 Porsche Boxster S recently. The weather has turned sunny here in the UK (no, really!) so I'm enjoying 'top-down' motoring - complete with wind deflector rattle! Googled the problem, found this Forum and this suggestion. Bought Velcro and fitted it as suggested and... Hey presto: rattle gone. I have joined this 986 Forum specifically to post this - my sincere thanks for a simple but effective cure to an otherwise increasingly-annoying rattle. Many thanks from over this side of The Pond!

Hooch55 is offline   Reply With Quote