Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2010, 01:00 PM   #1

Just got home from a DE

Had a great weekend at the track! Here's a vid of one of the run groups exiting the grid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00aaZDRzRgs

And here's what I asked Santa for:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XltDir74-HQ

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 04:40 PM   #2

If Santa gives you what you asked for, I want his address...for next year.
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 08:34 PM   #3

Run groups exiting the grid? WHO CARES!

I saw the title of your thread and I was excited that you shot some video from inside your car! Nothing.

I was pumped because I bent a wheel and couldn't attend the Toy Run DE at Eagles Canyon this weekend, so I was going to live vicariously through you.

It was going to be my first track event in the Boxster. First that, now this thread. Ugh.

I bet that Aston sounded incredible with the noise bouncing off the grandstand! I love that track.
DFW02S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 05:35 AM   #4

DFW, to get some in-car thrills, watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BUYolktDng&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I met both of these guys. They sure do get around the TWS fast.

I've no intention of putting a camcorder in my car to display my complete lack of finding the line. Seems really easy when watching videos or even riding with an experienced driver... but boy howdy is it hard to do when you're thinking about flags, your speed, downshifting, apex points, turnout points, the guy behind you, the guy in front of you, your instructor correcting you in your right ear, and last but not least, wondering if your car is going to blow up or break down or spin out.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:34 AM   #5
JTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
last but not least, wondering if your car is going to blow up or break down or spin out.
I totally understand your concerns, I really want to get into driving on the track but I can't gamble with my daily driver's safety right now.
JTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 08:13 AM   #6

You know, my wife took our 550i out and had a blast and had zero issues. Lots of guys drive their DD's out there and back. They just take it easy and don't hotdog it around the track and do stupid things.

Even though my boxster is not my DD, I treat it like one on the track because I can't afford to repair it if I damage it badly and I don't trailer the car there, so it's got to get me home (90 miles away) at the end of the weekend.

Sign up for one, just to know the amazing limits of the car and to learn how to think differently about being behind the wheel of what is considered the most well balanced sports car in production.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:27 AM   #7

DEs are made for DDs. I would think it is safe to say that over half the cars running them are daily drivers, if not more.
Caractere kit seam sealed, Caractere rear wing, 1 3/4" drop on coilovers, 235/40/18 Kuhmo XS on 18x8 Millie Miglia Spider II's, H2sport spindles, H&R front Sway bar, O-bar rear torsion, VF Eng. motor mounts, G60 12# flywheel, Nuespeed P-flow intake, Forge DV, Samco IP, Custom K04 turbo and Upsolute chip, 4 bar fpr, TT 2 1/2" SS DP, 2 1/2" custom stainless exhaust no muffler, Peleguin LSD, B&M SS, Momo 14" wheel, R32 steering rack.
yelojkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 08:35 AM   #8

Sure they're DDs but if you're smart you'll get deep sump pan with X51 baffles, UD pulley and Motorsport AOS to deal with oil starvation issues.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 09:12 AM   #9

Quote:
... but boy howdy is it hard to do when you're thinking about flags, your speed, downshifting, apex points, turnout points, the guy behind you, the guy in front of you, your instructor correcting you in your right ear, and last but not least, wondering if your car is going to blow up or break down or spin out.

When you type it out like that it can be daunting but when you're on track, you process all that stuff best if you just keep a long focal point.

I don't worry about blowing up or breaking down, it's a German performance car and it's made to take it.

Spinning out, if I don't go off once in a while, I'm not pushing hard enough. Certain tracks are safer than others and you can push harder. TWS is a safe one unless something mechanical goes on the straightaway, those concrete walls are unforgiving!

See you there sometime.
DFW02S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 05:31 PM   #10

Here's some pix I just got of the event. My race suspension sure is doing it's job... very little body roll, even under very hard cornering. The Bimmer pix are of my wife driving.

http://gallery.me.com/randallneighbour#100065
Old 12-07-2010, 07:11 AM   #11

Nice Vids and pics

Is the amount of tape on the lights entirely necessary? Lots of rocks thrown up?
Gary H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 07:33 AM   #12
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Had a great weekend at the track! Here's a vid of one of the run groups exiting the grid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00aaZDRzRgs

And here's what I asked Santa for:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XltDir74-HQ
Looks like fun Randall,
Did your instructor manage to keep his hands to himself this time?
Old 12-07-2010, 08:05 AM   #13

Gary, I love that stealthy look so I tape them all up, plus, replacement litronics units are now $1000+ a piece when and IF you can find them for the 986.

Some drivers go nuts with the painter's tape though.

Topless, it's funny you should ask about that. My instructor this time around was a gruff old geezer who never once asked me to hold my wheel. He did teach me to turn my head and look at the turnout and then the next turn before I made the current turn into the apex which was incredibly helpful.

My problem with this is that I was unable to master holding my wheel totally straight while moving my head for that split second I need to keep the wheel straight. So, I gave him permission Sunday morning to hold the wheel for me for a lap to show me what he was yelling at me to do lap after lap (I said he was gruff!)

His reply was, "No sir. You will be doing all the driving today. You must struggle to develop the muscle memory and concentration skills to get this down."

He was at least 25 years older than my first instructor, raced cars for 20+ years in the SCCA, and boy howdy did it show. I lucked out.

I gotta figure out how to get back inside a calendar year though. I'll lose it all again and never get out of the green group if I don't! It's just hard to find the time and money as I have far more important priorities in life right now.