Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2010, 08:22 AM   #1

Ignition Switch Stiffness

My 2000 Boxster has a very stiff-turning ignition switch. It gets even worse in cold weather. I have injected powdered graphite and later, WD-40, with little if any improvement. I'm hoping to avoid a costly repair, so if anyone has any suggestions, or cares to share their experience with this problem, I will appreciate it.

BassMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 08:40 AM   #2

replace the electrical portion of the switch. buy parts from local audi dealer ($35-50) or online at ************************************************************ ($8.65 +s/h)

DIY writeup details on PedrosGarage:

pedrosgarage.com/Site_3/Replace_Ignition_Switch.html

Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 09:59 AM   #3

Did you take it apart? The outer cowl piece releases, lubrication without dis assembly didn't work on my car.. Don't bay a switch till you take it apart first, if it works but only in a difficult manner it's not broken..
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 12:27 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightsandaces
Did you take it apart? The outer cowl piece releases, lubrication without dis assembly didn't work on my car.. Don't bay a switch till you take it apart first, if it works but only in a difficult manner it's not broken..
Would you please explain in more detail how to disassemble the switch?
Old 12-04-2010, 05:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassMD
Would you please explain in more detail how to disassemble the switch?

This is from memory, its in the bentley book mine is with the car, first you remove the plastic finish collar surround piece. You need something pointy to work with like a nail set. Then you will see a small dimple on the metal collar now exposed with the trim piece off, if memory is right you press the dimple and its a twist lock.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:35 AM   #6
kpm

Put your right hand on the steering wheel in the 2 o clock position and your left hand on the ignition key...then apply slight pressure with your right hand towards the 1 o clock position while turning the key. See if that makes a difference.

I never force a key when it resists.
kpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 09:08 AM   #7

Quote:
This is from memory, its in the bentley book mine is with the car, first you remove the plastic finish collar surround piece. You need something pointy to work with like a nail set. Then you will see a small dimple on the metal collar now exposed with the trim piece off, if memory is right you press the dimple and its a twist lock.
I removed the rubbery trim piece and what is revealed is a plastic collar around the switch, with a tab at 12 O'Clock. I tried pushing and pulling gently on the tab, and twisting, but nothing budged. Not wanting to break anything, I desisted. Advice?
Old 12-06-2010, 08:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burg Boxster
replace the electrical portion of the switch. buy parts from local audi dealer ($35-50) or online at ************************************************************ ($8.65 +s/h)

DIY writeup details on PedrosGarage:

pedrosgarage.com/Site_3/Replace_Ignition_Switch.html

+1

This sounds like the plastic parts of the electrical portion of your ignition switch are breaking or worn. This is a common issue with these switches and an inexpensive DIY repair if you are handy and flexible.

Is your car experiencing any other electrical problems (air conditioning or dash lights non-functional)? If so, these are also common symptoms associated with a bad ignition switch.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:33 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassMD
I removed the rubbery trim piece and what is revealed is a plastic collar around the switch, with a tab at 12 O'Clock. I tried pushing and pulling gently on the tab, and twisting, but nothing budged. Not wanting to break anything, I desisted. Advice?

OK because its 3am and I'm up (medical stuff) , I'll look it up.....

OK after you remove the trim and boot, this is from Bentley

1) Insert ignition key and turn to position one (ignition on) insert straightened paper clip into hole at top right of key slot, press clip into the hole as far as it will go, pull lock cylinder out of steering lock housing.

Reinstall is reverse of removal, place ignition lock in position one, (ignition on) then lock cylinder barrel pawl with paper clip..

good luck Mr. Bond
Old 12-11-2010, 10:05 AM   #10

Quote:
OK because its 3am and I'm up (medical stuff) , I'll look it up.....

OK after you remove the trim and boot, this is from Bentley

1) Insert ignition key and turn to position one (ignition on) insert straightened paper clip into hole at top right of key slot, press clip into the hole as far as it will go, pull lock cylinder out of steering lock housing.

Reinstall is reverse of removal, place ignition lock in position one, (ignition on) then lock cylinder barrel pawl with paper clip..

good luck Mr. Bond
I did this today; had a bear of a time getting it back together. When I had it apart I sprayed the internal parts with WD-40. It seems to have made a difference. As I pulled out to bring the car to my winter storage spot, the seatbelt retractor locked up and would not budge. Cars!!!!
Old 12-11-2010, 01:43 PM   #11

WD-40 is NOT what you would want to spray in there.... a graphite lubricant would be a much better choice...

Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote