Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2010, 06:20 PM   #1

Has anyone ever thought of running total 10 w50 racing

Only reason I ask is that it is very easy for me to get. It also seems that it might help the high heat track related failures (thicker possibly less shearing) For a 2001 s that sees half it's miles on the track and lives in CA does anyone think this is not a good idea??

I am by no means an oil or M96 expert so I am trying to figure out why this might not be a good thing to try.

Any advice would be great.

smcgeary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 03:05 AM   #2

IMO, if you're tracking it, the oil issues I'd be concerned with are the starvation circumstances. Since my 2.5 came with 0-40 from the factory, it would seem to me that 20-50 might actually do more harm at start up. When you think about it, that dry start-up is the killer and where you need instant viscosity. Frequency has always been a key factor in oil changes, I don't think synthetic has changed that. Oil is designed to get dirty and hold said dirt in a colloidal suspension. It makes sense that the fresher the oil is, the more cleaning capacity it has in this particular regard. Other than expending money, I can't see any problem in changing the oil too much, in fact, especially in M96 engines, it just might be the difference in a long happy engine life.

Last edited by eightsandaces; 12-03-2010 at 03:07 AM.
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 03:27 AM   #3

i think your money is better spent on oil systems upgrade eg larger sump/windage tray,oil safe kit. its been my read these motors suffer from lack of any oil not what type at the track
extanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 12:51 PM   #4

Use the search function for Mike_Yi experiences and eventual engine blowup due (he thinks) to oil starvation at the track.
As extanker says, its not the oil type that's the problem, its the lack of oil that does the harm to your back pocket.....
Old 12-03-2010, 01:57 PM   #5

All understood

I have certainly heard of the starvation issues . I was planning on going with the LN deep sump kit / modified baffle. I have also heard some people say that they thought high temps were a cause of oil breakdown. I am assuming an oil with a high HTHS rating would help combat this. Thought the 10-50 total racing may be a decent compromise. I may just stick with the 5w40 currently in the car though. I guess one thought I have had is that the air-cooled cars (I own one) seem to have no heat related oil issues. It may be a false assumption but I would think the water cooled cars would have lower oil temps no? I know the oiling systems in the two are very different with the older being a true dry sump.

Thanks for the advice guys.
smcgeary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 05:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Tinker
Use the search function for Mike_Yi experiences and eventual engine blowup due (he thinks) to oil starvation at the track.
As extanker says, its not the oil type that's the problem, its the lack of oil that does the harm to your back pocket.....
Jake (Raby of Flat 6 Innovations) mentioned that he thought it was more likely due to excessive oil temperatures, rather than oil starvation. However, he also said that running racing oil for day-to-day driving is a bad idea.
Mike_Yi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 08:11 PM   #7
Track rat

Garage
FWIW I have been running Castrol 5w40 for two years. 50+ track days and she's not blowed up yet. I do change my oil often and top all fluids before every track day, checking the oil level before every session.