Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2010, 12:17 AM   #1

To Polk or not to Polk

In my digging around for Black Friday steals, I happened across some pretty good deals on top of the line Polk Audio speakers, the SR series for the doors, and the MM series for the dash and rear. The deals on these are very tempting because compared to regular price, they are nearly half off and brand new 2010 models.

Yet I am unsure if I want to pull the trigger because of the need to purchase a double din HU, a pair of Alpine PDX amps, installation, and the possibility of a 8" sub in the passenger foot well all to replace the CDR-220, CD changer, Cassette, Equalizer, and Amplifier components of the upgraded Bose system. Those additional costs do add up....

I am very satisfied with the current factory system, it is one of the reasons I bought this car: all the sound system upgrades. Yet I am dissatisfied since my late Boxster had an after market system close to a Boxster (I had the chance to sit in and experience) that was built by a local sound shop who placed second overall in the convertible class at the national sound competition with it the other year..... I covet something similar, an audio bug of sorts.

Any thoughts on pulling the trigger? or holding off?

http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile..._4015248_n.jpg

Last edited by PlayersExpress; 11-26-2010 at 12:27 AM.
PlayersExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 01:24 AM   #2

Upgrading the dash top speakers will make a difference. If the speakers you're referring to have a high SN ratio then they will almost certainly sound better than stock.
However the door speakers are 6.5" 'Subs' in 'tuned' plastic enclosures - so ideally will need to be replaced as a whole with a new enclosure.

This may help:

http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26147
Gary H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 08:26 AM   #3

I might replace the dash and door speakers only. I am hesitant, however, since the amp, sub and rear speakers (and HU) will remain the same, so it might not be much of an improvement.... I'd like to do something relatively simle, though...

Leo
Old 11-28-2010, 03:02 PM   #4

Well worth it. I replaced the dash speakers (only speakers)

in my 2001 with infinity speakers. A pretty quick and easy project and the diiference was from Holiday Inn clock radio to a small bookshelf speakers set.

Not great fidelity - but at least it sounds like music and not noise.
urban_legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 07:25 AM   #5

Keeping your current setup and replacing the dash speakers can result in a good improvement over stock.

However, unless you replace the amp along with the door speakers you would only be wasting your time and money.
greenerob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 08:11 AM   #6

Thanks ! I will think about it. In the meantime I will take a look at what is currently installed so I can get something with similar specs.

best
Leo