986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   What else should I change while changing my engine? (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27028)

Byron in Atlanta 11-29-2010 08:54 AM

What else should I change while changing my engine?

Hello all....you'll recall that when we last visited, I had just blown the engine in my '02 Boxster S at a DE at Road Atlanta. Since then I have acquired a replacement 3.2L engine and have ordered the Improved IMS bearing from LN Engineering. I also got their Oil Pan expansion kit and their AccuSump oiling system. Obviously, I am hoping that these measures decrease any oiling or IMS problems at the track. I have also gotten a new AOS assembly from my local dealer and am ordering today a new expansion tank for the cooling system. I have two stock clutches and pressure plates (the replacement engine had one). I am considering an upgrade there as well.

My question to the group is what other items should I replace while I've got the engine out? Water hoses? Power steering pump? Hoses? Any recommendations on a Clutch/Flywheel setup for DE's? What about engine mounts? Am I overlooking any weak points that I should look at improving? RMS?

I want to make the car a great DE car while still being able to take it on the street. Thanks in advance!

stephen wilson 11-29-2010 09:36 AM

I would install a new water pump.

extanker 11-29-2010 09:47 AM

what is your budget ? daily driver % vs track ? what mods do you have now ? a list to think about changing/doing...spark plugs,t stat,reverse flush engine and rads,anything that looks like it may have a leak including rms,light weight flywheel and hi po clutch and all hardware,underdriver pulley kit,motor mounts,water pump,hi po exhaust,a better AOS,oil filter kit,hipo intake,hoses that look/feel old,fuel filter,airfilter system,service trans,LSD .....your muffler bearings are fine right?

Gilles 11-29-2010 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by extanker
your muffler bearings are fine right?

extanker, could you please explain with more details..? :rolleyes:

extanker 11-29-2010 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gilles
extanker, could you please explain with more details..? :rolleyes:

kalecoauto.com.....ya cant make this stuff up :D

Mike_Yi 11-29-2010 02:03 PM

I would think about adding an additional oil cooler just to be on the safe side.

JFP in PA 11-29-2010 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike_Yi
I would think about adding an additional oil cooler just to be on the safe side.

And exactly where are you going to put this additional cooler?

Mike_Yi 11-30-2010 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFP in PA
And exactly where are you going to put this additional cooler?

I'd put it in front of the center radiator in the S, and having a non-S myself, I plan on putting an S front bumper on, and putting it there instead of a 3rd radiator.

Gilles 11-30-2010 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by extanker
kalecoauto.com.....ya cant make this stuff up :D

Thanks for the link..!
I did order a set of brass balls, should help to improve the late breaking technique :p

Steve Tinker 11-30-2010 12:35 PM

Quote:

I'd put it in front of the center radiator in the S, and having a non-S myself, I plan on putting an S front bumper on, and putting it there instead of a 3rd radiator.

I hope you have got a bigger oil pump then - how are you going to pump the oil 6 meteres to the front radiator and back with the existing pump.
With the internal friction of the extra pipework + oil cooler I would be suprised if you had a 5 psi dribble at the oil return point.....

JFP in PA 11-30-2010 12:42 PM

Quote:

Actually, that is a very bad idea. The oil pump systems in these cars cannot handle pumping the oil all the way to the front of the car and then back; the pump is simply not up to the task. A couple of serious track nuts have tried it and it did not end well. Add in the fact that there is very little room in front of the center radiator, for the street you will need to add some type of thermostatic control to prevent "super cooling" under cool/cold ambient temps, and some way to drain and refill all the lines and cooler during an oil change. Now you know why Porsche uses an oil/water heat exchanger mounted on top of the engine................

You are vastly better off running the larger 996 heat exchanger on your base engine, and using the LN 160F stat to lower the coolant and oil temps, as well as extending the life of your oil........