Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2011, 10:24 PM   #1

Nothing Good Happens After 11pm

First, let me begin by saying I respect law enforcement. You couldn't pay me enough to walk up to a car I'd just pulled over - very scary with all the whacko nut jobs out there. Plus you could get run over by someone too busy talking on their cell. They put their life on the line every day. There's a pretty good chance I'm not going to die cutting code on the computer so I can't imagine the stress they go through every day.

Second, I don't go out much late at night. I'm 52 and single and I don't feel the need to hang out with 20 yr olds at the bar. I'm anal about the Boxster and late night crowds could do bad things to her. I don't have to go out and get drunk. Bottom line is I'm not out much after 11pm.

I got pulled over tonight because I made a left turn into the far right lane rather than the far left lane. I was driving the Cayman tonight. You'll recall I was pulled over last Aug with the Boxster for a rolling stop and had to do the full field sobriety test. Tonight all I had to do was follow the officer's finger, not move my head and coherently answer his questions. I was curtious and he let me go. I'd say I've been out late with the Porsches 4 or 5 times in the last 6 mo and now have been pulled over twice. I'm sure I'm not telling anybody anything new, but it really sucks that you get pulled over for all this penny-ante crap just because you have a fancy sports car. I know it's probable cause and they're looking for bigger prizes, but a Porsche kill must score big points in the precinct locker room. I don't mind the occasional stop (once every 5-7 yrs) but this is getting ridiculous. It takes the fun out of having a Porsche.

Guess I've got to end my dates by 10. Don't the old folks say that?

2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 04:21 AM   #2

Yeah, I know what you mean...it's kind of a love-hate thing when it comes to law enforcement personnel. When pulled over for some lame "offense" I always have to suppress the urge to say something like, "Shouldn't you guys be out looking for REAL criminals??"

You have the additional problem that Porsches (especially pumpkin-orange ones! Partly why I opted for the seal grey), to some extent, tend to stand out even more vividly in Nebraska than they would elsewhere, although I'm sure there's quite a few in a "big city" (mild sarcasm intended ) like Omaha.
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 05:04 AM   #3

That's why my daily driver is a Grand Cherokee...not that I drink and drive anyway, just don't need the hassle; though Porsches are a dime a dozen around here.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 05:35 AM   #4
2001 RUF 3800S

Nothing new here! I have a Cadillac escalade with 26 inch chrome rims and I get pulled over for no reason all the time. They always make stupid excuses up as to why they are pulling me over. "driving too slow" "tints too dark" " plates are not visible" or sometimes no reason at all. As for the Porsche I get pulled over when they see me because I'm too young to have one. Basically I've been pulled over at least 30 times in 7 years of driving. Cops hate on me, so fuc&@n annoying
Old 04-30-2011, 06:19 AM   #5

I rather get stopped now and then by hard working officers than have them doing nothing at all. They are looking to arrest someone for DUI. Good for them. If they check me out and let me go, great. It's the drunk driver they get off the road that may have caused an accident or killed someone that I am most concerned about.

Driving a great looking orange Boxster no doubt draws their attention. The price we pay for our passion.

Stay sober and be polite and you'll be good to go.

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 09:35 AM   #6

Funny thing is my grandmother used to always tell me that I should be in the house before it gets to late because nothing good happens after 11 P.M. She also told me to always wear clean underwear and keep my name out of the newspaper. I am proud to say I at least always wore clean underwear.

As to the police pulling you over...I get the same thing in my Infiniti G37S too...the last time I got the field sobriety test and a car search...I think what annoys them after they pull me over is I only respond to their request for my license, registration and proof of insurance. I do not answer ANY of their other questions like, "Where are you coming from tonight?" or "Do you know why I pulled you over." Advice giving to me by my brother the attorney.

Last edited by r9i8c7k; 04-30-2011 at 09:37 AM.
r9i8c7k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 09:41 AM   #7
JTP

Omaha must have a hard on for Porsches and violametallic, you got pulled over 30 times? I drive my car alot (~15k per yr) and at all hours of the day/night and got pulled over only once in two years of owning this car . That was for blatant speeding(way over the limit) but let me go without a ticket. I must have an honest face?
JTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 12:08 PM   #8
Track rat

Garage
Interesting. I have owned my Guards Red (take my license please) Boxster for 6 years and never been pulled over. I do drive pretty conservatively on the street though. In SoCal my car looks pretty tame alongside all the Vettes, Hot Rod Hondas, STi, Lambos and Ferraris. I suspect a Porsche is relatively rare in Omaha and perhaps they think you are a movie star, pro athlete or something.
Old 04-30-2011, 12:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless
I suspect a Porsche is relatively rare in Omaha and perhaps they think you are a movie star, pro athlete or something.
OH, GOD...now you're gonna give him a big head!!!
Old 04-30-2011, 07:17 PM   #10

Chuck puts it into the proper perspective. They are trying to keep the streets safe. A drunk driver (.17) tried his hardest to kill me 24 yrs ago - we were 2 car lengths away from a head on and I'm sure I wouldn't have survived had I not taken evasive action. So I'm all for extracting them from our highways and byways. And being curtious goes a long way from being hassled even more. I have to remember these things if I get pulled over again.

I understand Punkin standing out in a crowd, but last night I was driving the Cayman which is Carmon Red. It doesn't exactly glow in the dark.

As far as Porsche's being rare in our little cow pasture, that's not necessarily true. Woodhouse sells a heck of a lot of Porsches. There's even another 08 S Limited Edition that must live somewhere in my neck of the woods because I've seen him several times. Last night I saw a 997 on my way to the comedy club and tonight I saw a 997T. They're out there. Hopefully they're not getting the same treatment from Omaha's finest.

And don't worry about me getting a big head. I'm a former professional athlete who has transitioned into the movie business so I already have a big ego. I always ask the officers if they know who they've pulled over.

J/K

Last fall my mom said it was a good thing I wasn't arrested because she wouldn't have bailed me out. Wow. I know none of my buddies would either. I wouldn't do well in jail, so I better watch my Ps and Qs.

BTW... It's 10:15pm CDT and all my Porsches are in the garage.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 04:48 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by husker boxster

...I always ask the officers if they know who they've pulled over...
I can hear the conversation now...
"Officer, do you know who I am?"

"Yeah, I'm pretty sure you're the knucklehead we pulled over for rolling that stop sign last August..."
Old 05-01-2011, 05:20 PM   #12

And it helps to be pretty

back in the day I had a Honda Prelude and my girlfriend, (blonde, blue eyes, and a deep tan) was driving back from Myrtle Beach. She was speeding and weaving pretty bad. She got pulled over and when the question came "Do you know how fast you were going?

She replied "No, I have no idea - I was falling asleep."

Let her off with a " you be careful now Miss"
urban_legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 04:05 AM   #13

Nothing Good Happens afte 11 pm......

.........except on prom night.

schnellman is offline   Reply With Quote