986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Where are you Canucks buying your batteries? (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26996)

clickman 11-24-2010 09:48 PM

Where are you Canucks buying your batteries?

I think my Moll has outlived its usefulness. I guess 10 years ain't too bad.

Where are you Canadians getting your batteries?

Make and model?

ekam 11-25-2010 04:24 AM

Mine's still going *crossing fingers* but if it dies I'll go for either Interstate or Optima red top.

litteng 11-25-2010 06:21 AM

Sadly

for other cars at canadian tire...

the only reason is that i can find one in most populated centres in case it dies early, and i have had the pleasure several times on other vehicles

once with a sears, and once with a cdn tire battery

my original moll died while still under warranty, so it was replaced by porsche

not sure were i will go to get the next one.

The Radium King 11-25-2010 07:41 AM

suncoast parts in florida will ship braille batteries to canada.

clickman 11-25-2010 09:23 AM

What's the durability of Braille batteries compared to "regular"?

JFP in PA 11-25-2010 10:26 AM

I’d be concerned about Braille batteries in the cold as they use a totally different method than all other battery manufacturer’s to determine CCA (Braille uses “conductance testing” rather than the real world 30 seconds cranking at 0F at a minimum voltage of 7.2 as required by the Battery Council International standards), and even with their unusual test methods, their CCA ratings are already much lower than other batteries. I’d be very concerned about how well these units, which were designed for light draw racing applications, will fare in really cold street applications based upon actual experience. We have had a couple customers try the Braille’s on the street, and go back to conventional batteries due poor performance. Yes, they are light, but they are also weaker than conventional batteries. Long before I’d put a Braille on the street, I’d look at an Optima, which is lighter than OEM, maintenance free (you will never have to add water or deal with corrosion), and have proven to outlive the conventional flooded OEM style units………………

brian325is 11-25-2010 11:26 AM

I bought mine at Walmart. Energizer battery. I bought the smaller size, I believe it is volkswagen fitment. It mounts perfectly and saves a little weight. There are multiple bolt placements for the mounting bracket form the factory. It is listed in the book on the battery rack. Works great, and did I mention it is cheap.

litteng 11-26-2010 06:22 AM

Cheap Canadian B@$t@rd$

and they joke about us BMW motorrad rider as being cheap...

"the cheapest thing on a BMW motorcycle is the owner"... energizer bunny battery in a boxster... i see a name change coming the "energizer boxster"

i love it :D

clickman 11-26-2010 09:10 AM

I'd be curious to know how many battery brands are being made by one company: Johnson Controls, for example.

JFP in PA 11-26-2010 09:59 AM

More than you might imagine...........there are a lot more "marketers" than manufacturers..............

brian325is 11-27-2010 04:03 AM

Like Clickman says most batteries are distributed by Johnson Controls including the Energizer batteries sold at Walmart. Made in Taiwan of course. Also got my Seadoo and boat batteries from them.