Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-24-2010, 12:10 PM   #1

Strange wheel sound

Lately I’ve been hearing this sound coming from (I’m pretty sure) the right front wheel area. It’s a little hard to describe sounds in words, but it sounds like a fairly low-pitched “woh-woh-woh-woh” kind of sound. Speeds up and slows down according to vehicle speed. Pushing in the clutch has no effect, nor does braking (other than changing the frequency of the sound due to decreased vehicle speed). It is most noticeable when taking a slow curve to the left (like in a round-about). It is audible when going straight-line, but not as much as when turning left. In a straight line the pulsing sound just gets faster and faster until it becomes a drone at speed (say 50+ MPH).

I pulled the wheel and looked: Nothing obvious is wrong visually (that I can see anyway). Nothing loose or dangling, no signs of something rubbing that shouldn’t be, etc. Did the thing where they grab the tire and pull the wheel left and right---seems tight (about the same as the opposite side, anyway).

Any theories as to a diagnosis? Any additional “tests” I can run to narrow the possibilities down?
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote