Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2012, 07:12 AM   #1

new battery and now check engine light

hey guys i installed a new battery in my 02 S yesterday and drove about 50 miles and the check engine light came on-i dont have a scanner to get a specific code but am wondering if its just on while the dme relearns the idle still is a bit rough-has anyone else experienced this? and what are the chances the light will go out by itself? thanks for any info

oc-boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:40 AM   #2

Go to a place like AutoZone, they can read the code for you.

Did you check your gas cap?
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:06 AM   #3

yeah checked the cap-its brand new first thing i replaced after i bought it-just seems weird the light came on the same day i replaced the battery..
Old 11-07-2012, 12:44 PM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by oc-boxster View Post
hey guys i installed a new battery in my 02 S yesterday and drove about 50 miles and the check engine light came on-i dont have a scanner to get a specific code but am wondering if its just on while the dme relearns the idle still is a bit rough-has anyone else experienced this? and what are the chances the light will go out by itself? thanks for any info
Sometimes, but not always, when the battery is replaced with an E-throttle, you have to turn the key to the on position with the engine off and let the throttle adapt itself. I turn the key on and wait about a minute, then shut the car off and wait a minute then start it up. If your quiet you may hear the audible click as it cycles....just an idea
stephe57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:59 PM   #5

took the car to pep boys to get codes pulled, only 1 code came up p0430. cat converter conversion too low cylinders 4-6, did a search and it gave some ideas about cleaning the maf sensor running some techron additive to the gas then driving it pretty hard and to check the 02 sensors and harneses, ill try these things along with disconnecting the battery and starting over..just seems odd i never had a cel light until the same day i get a new battery..one good thing the search said is that it is very rarely the expensive cat converters that go bad.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:12 PM   #6

new battery

after changing my battery last month it was hard to start, then couldn't find it's idle. Took it to my guy (very reputable.. my car is always the poor mans car in the garage) nothing lit up on the dash, by the way, he ended up changing the maf, car has never run better. Got a hold of some bad gas last week' he ended up putting some injector cleaner in (first time since I've owned it) now it is really smooth.....also started using chevron techtron S.P.? with lots of success. Good luck
nicecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:13 PM   #7

disconnected the battery and reconnected this morning light is out, drove 90 miles light is still out car is running great, im still going to change the 02 sensor and maf sensor. and i called a local shop that can do a smoke test for vacuum leaks-good info to have i guess