Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2010, 09:52 AM   #1

Cool Experimenting with brakes and rotors

I just recently purchased the following: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390260357056&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT

Since i use my car on a daily basis and prefer it as more of a show car rather then a track car,i decided to give this company a try.Yea i know, price sounds to good to be
true, but like they say you get what you pay for.I'll post some pics as soon as i get them and ill of course experiment with them and let you know this postives
and negatives

toolfan94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 10:22 AM   #2

It's not so startling, a lot of pads are composite, you're falling for the trigger word ceramic. BTW, rotors with the blade shape in them are supposed to be tough on pads. I read they were designed to scrape away the pad as well as for ventialtion and are better used in racing applications. In short, that set up on ebay has in common with Porsche ceramic brakes the fact that they are indeed both brakes, that's where the similarity ends. I'd cry if I had to replace the real ceramics, I'll bet the rotors are idiot expensive.

You want a nice set up? Pagid 421 blacks, with Zimmerman cross drilled and weltsmeister anti squeal liners.. Nice street brakes look great.

Last edited by eightsandaces; 11-23-2010 at 10:24 AM.
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 11:16 AM   #3

Thanks for the info, and yes that does sound like a nice setup,but since I'm limited budget wise with the holidays coming along :ah: , I'm willing to take the risk.Of course I'll have my my back up rotors and pads which are still in fairly good condition
Old 11-23-2010, 12:59 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolfan94
Thanks for the info, and yes that does sound like a nice setup,but since I'm limited budget wise with the holidays coming along :ah: , I'm willing to take the risk.Of course I'll have my my back up rotors and pads which are still in fairly good condition

Well if you can, pick cross drilled only, I understand the dollars, I'm in a tight place too. Before my re-injury, I put that set up on my car and not only has it never squealed since, IMO it has noticeably better performance.

Last edited by eightsandaces; 11-23-2010 at 01:02 PM.
Old 11-23-2010, 03:25 PM   #5

Keep us updated with how you go, great price!

Sam
sparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 07:34 PM   #6

Unfortunately this company only carries drilled and slotted rotors as apposed to the cross drilled rotors that eightsandaces mentioned.Ill probably get them in in the mail
sometime next week since thanksgiving is coming up.Cant wait to try them out, hopefully my rain forest metallic green boxster makes these bad boys stand out
Old 11-24-2010, 02:56 AM   #7

toolfan, if you look around you will catch the drilled only rotors on ebay and on some parts sites now and then. If you go with the units you already selected, I'm sure they will be just fine, more pad wear maybe, no big deal. I highly recommend buying the anti squeal liners, they even worked on the Fiat brakes, 1971 technology. Worth the extra 10
Old 11-24-2010, 04:10 AM   #8

I put German made Balo's and Mentix pads on mine for about $300 from Pelican Parts. Fit was perfect. Extremely happy with the setup I have.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 08:44 AM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcb986
I put German made Balo's and Mentix pads on mine for about $300 from Pelican Parts. Fit was perfect. Extremely happy with the setup I have.

+1

Same here and very satisfied.

Toolfan -

Do not forget about ordering new bolts for your calipers as they are recommended to not reuse old bolts.
boxster6354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 08:50 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightsandaces

You want a nice set up? Pagid 421 blacks, with Zimmerman cross drilled and weltsmeister anti squeal liners.. Nice street brakes look great.
@eightsandaces. How are the pagid blacks with dust? Im using akebono ceramics on zimmerman rotors now and the performance is OK for the street and they hardly dust at all but they lack a little initial bite. On another note i was able to crash a
track day session at laguna seca and within 3 laps
the akebonos were starting to die, by 5 laps i had
to pull in as they faded terribly.
Old 11-24-2010, 09:04 AM   #11

I would'nt personally try to cut corner with brake parts on a Porsche..

It's just like putting crappy rubber on a such nice handling car.. :P
vipola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 11:21 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolo
@eightsandaces. How are the pagid blacks with dust? Im using akebono ceramics on zimmerman rotors now and the performance is OK for the street and they hardly dust at all but they lack a little initial bite. On another note i was able to crash a
track day session at laguna seca and within 3 laps
the akebonos were starting to die, by 5 laps i had
to pull in as they faded terribly.

I have no feedback to offer on the pagid blacks used in track work, on the road, I think they are great and dust the wheels no more or less than the stock pad. Pagid makes more aggressive pads for the track, I think they are the orange ones, more aggressive on the rotor but might not fade as much, I've never tried any of their other products but I'm happy with the blacks.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:07 PM   #13

I've used Pagid orange on my track 911s for many years...great initial bite and good modulation. They are not for the street, however; they don't like to work cold and they make a lot of noise! Blacks are a good compromise and work well with the weight of a Boxster...not for light cars.

PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote