Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2010, 08:56 AM   #1

stuttgart vs finland

I have a 97 Boxster built in Germany before they moved assembly to Finland. Is there a preference for anyone? Does anybody think there is a difference ?

danyl55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 09:05 AM   #2

i've often wondered this myself, but the parts are coming from the same supplier so if there is any difference it would be in build quality. since i've never seen anyone complaining that the newer boxsters seem to have worse build quality than the older models, i doubt there's much difference.

when they announced they were moving production out of finland and to austria, they specifically said it had nothing to do with quality, only quantity and price. they said the new plant would be able to produce more vehicles more cheaply than valmet.

"Over the last eleven years, Valmet has built more than 200,000 sports cars of outstanding quality for us. Our decision not to continue our successful cooperation is in no way a vote against Valmet. Rather, it was the high development capacity and competence of our future partner that tipped the balance in favor of our new partner."

doubt it had anything to do with this finnish radio station stunt:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T69l4HOKnrM
Old 11-10-2010, 09:15 AM   #3

It's hard to say one way or the other. In 97 all the Boxsters were built in Germany and later most (90%?) of production moved to Finland. So I would assume the most experienced production was from Finland which could be seen as the better assembled cars were also produced there.

I've also heard that Germany has or had stricter air quality control standards that required a different paint system than was was permitted in Finland and that the paint on the German cars is not as durable as their counterparts from Finland.

I'm not sure if any of this is accurate, but I am also an owner of a 97 and the quality seems pretty good to me.

I would also assume that the production improved over the years, but that conjecture as well.

I don't think there is any real wide spread opinion that Boxsters from one factory are any better than those from another, but I be interested to know if others feel different and why.

Aron

Last edited by Aron in Toronto; 11-10-2010 at 09:18 AM.
Aron in Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 09:18 AM   #4

ive an 09 cay...i just hope it was made by VW
extanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 09:59 AM   #5

My car was built in Finland and I find the assembly to be excellent.

eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote