Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2010, 02:01 AM   #1

door lock mechanism - door panel taken apart

I took apart my driver's door today to take a look at the DLM.

I can't figure out what the metal spring clip in the middle of the photo does:

It sits in a immobile metal bracket on one end, and on the plastic casing on the other end. Neither end moves.

It looks as though the "L" shaped metal arm to its right (which is connected to the door handle) has a little hook in it. But the "L" moves as soon as the door handle is pulled so if the metal spring clip is supposed to sit in the hook, it would fall out the first time the door handle is pulled:

My worry is if that clip is in its right position at all? Those who have opened their door panel to have a look at the door lock mechanisms, any ideas?

Attached Images

--2007 Maserati Quattroporte Sport GT

Last edited by Jinster; 11-10-2010 at 02:04 AM.
Jinster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 02:41 AM   #2

I assume you took the door apart for a good reason, like a problem with the DLM. If it were me, I would put the end of the spring into the hook on the L shaped arm and see what happens when the door handle is operated. What have you got to lose, you already have the door apart. It sure looks like the end of the spring goes there in your picture.
I tried to find the part in the catalog, but the picture is not detailed enought to show anything.
http://www.********************************************.com/porsche-parts/986-97-04/804-00.php
Check in the bottom of the door to see if there is any kind of clip or something similar that might have fallen off or broken.

BTW, it sure looks like the "passenger" door to me.

Last edited by Spinnaker; 11-10-2010 at 02:52 AM. Reason: Added comment
Spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 03:07 AM   #3

Just looked in the Bentley manual, and it shows the detail of the lock mechanism.

On page 57-8 it shows the spring inserted into the hook and has the warning:
"Caution-- Spring must be engaged in spring hook before installing door lock. Failure to do so can result in lock and alarm malfunction."

Further down the page it states:
"NOTE-- Guide spring is released the first time the handle is used. An initial increase in effort to operate the door handle is normal."

So, you are right. It pops out when you operate the door handle.
I just learned something!
Old 11-10-2010, 05:07 AM   #4

So then is that spring just there for assembly alignment and serves no further function once the door has been opened for the first time?

Would it help to pop off the other door panel and compare sides?
Old 11-10-2010, 06:20 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_T
So then is that spring just there for assembly alignment and serves no further function once the door has been opened for the first time?
That's how I read it.
Old 11-10-2010, 06:26 PM   #6

You are right. Just as it shows and you have discovered the spring is in the hook only to "set" the door lock into place and once you pull the handle the spring pops out and hopefully you have a functioning lock.

I couldnt figure this out the first 2 times I took mine out but after trial and error it worked. Good luck.
97 Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 01:45 AM   #7
Rennzenn

Garage
Wow!
No airbags or door speakers. Looks very light.
j.fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 09:54 PM   #8

Spinnaker, with that description in the Bentley manual, it all makes sense now.

The "L" shaped piece connects to the door handle on the other end. The connection is made by snapping a plastic connector onto a screw, the position on the screw this "snap on" occurs is variable. If the "L" is not in the right position when the door handle is connected, then you would have trouble with the length of the connection impeding the operation of the door handle and DLM. So the wire spring clip holds it in place during installation.

97 Boxster, have you resolved your DLM problems yet?

j.fro, yep, no speaker or airbag.

I actually opened up the door to install the silver interior door handle. So I compared the other side. The spring clip is also not connected, obviously.

--2007 Maserati Quattroporte Sport GT
Jinster is offline   Reply With Quote